Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
The Posadas are in full swing and we are gearing up for a complete week of celebrations. Las Posadas begin on December 16 and end on Christmas Eve with the Cena of La Noche Buena. This celebration reenacts Mary and Joseph’s search for shelter in Bethlehem. These processions of los peregrinos lead to a different house every night for the culmination of the posada – a fiesta.
This wonderful Mexican Christmas tradition is one my kids look forward to. They love the hearing the Mariachi’s sing traditional Christmas songs. They play with their cousins while the adults prepare the feast. Tables are adorned with fruit, poinsettias and goodie bags for the children. A piñata is hung by a nearby tree brimming with dulces. Regional favorites from Mexico are served tamales, mole and pozole will be offered along with steaming cups of atole, champurrado and ponche navideno. Everyone enjoys food, community and give thanks for the year’s blessings. Goodie bags filled with oranges, candy canes and nuts are presented to the children, which are also used to hold their winnings from the piñata.
This avocado tomatillo salsa is one of my favorite Holiday salsa. It adds a tasty perk to any tamale and the kids love it with warm tortillas chips. My mom makes this by the blender full and it is always the first salsa to go. Roast the vegetable the night before, add the avocado before your guest arrive and blend. If there should be any left enjoy it the next morning over papitas fritas and a side of frijoles refritos. Enjoy!
- 1/2 pound tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 medium onion cut in half
- 2 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 1 handful of cilantro, stems and leaves, washed
- 2 Avocados
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Place the tomatillos, jalapenos, onion and garlic on a baking sheet.
- Place under broiler, until charred. 5 to 7 minutes.
- Be sure to watch the garlic, it will char quickly.
- Allow to cool, remove skin from garlic and place with remaining ingredients into a blender along with cilantro and salt.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add avocado and puree until smooth.
- Garnish with more cilantro.
- This can be made the day ahead.
- Allow to cool and store in fridge.
We are Celebrating the Posadas with Avocados from Mexico!
Celebrate Posadas con Sabor!
Join in on the Avocados from Mexico blog carnival/hop!