Chicken Ranchero Chimichangas
Calling all Tex-Mex lovers!
Holy chimichanga! We Texans love anything stuffed, spooned or stuffed into a tortilla, yum! Today I wanted to share a family favorite treat, chimichangas. You can find chimichangas in every Tex-Mex joint her in South Texas, people can’t get enough of them. A flavorful filling spooned into a tortilla, rolled and lightly fried until crispy. Hello good-looking!
Shredded cooked chicken is folded into a rich tomato sauce that thickens while it cooks. Feel free to us shredded brisket or pulled pork too. I like to make the filling a few days in advance, this will give the flavors a chance to meld.
I serve these babies during football season, for family fiestas and for Sunday dinner. Be sure to serve these chimichangas with plenty of creamy avocado dip. My kiddos love to dip, dip them into the avocado dip. And while you’re at it why not double the recipe and save a few for tomorrow’s lunch because these crispy chimichangas will be gobbled up quickly!
Quick Tip: Add the chimichanga to the pan seal side down to crisp and seal the edges.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 8 Old El Paso tortillas for burritos
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- In a nonstick skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, cumin, salt and pepper until light and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook additional 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, reduce heat and simmer until thick. Stir in shredded chicken, remove skillet from heat and place in bowl.
- Divide mixture evenly among tortillas. Gently fold in edges and roll up. Wipe non stick skillet clean, return to medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Lightly fry chimichangas in batches until crispy and lightly browned on each side, adding additional olive oil to pan if necessary.
- In a small bowl combine avocado, sour cream and lime juice. Mash with a fork until smooth; serve over warm chimichangas garnished with fresh cilantro.
Sweet Life Disclosure: This is a sponsored post with Old El Paso. Thank you for supporting the companies Sweet Life collaborates with which allows me to create fun and unique recipes.