I recently headed to New Orleans for a Latin Twist book signing at Tales of the Cocktail. For those interested it is currently on sale over at Amazon, smile. After our first book signing we headed out for a quick lunch before a scheduled seminar. We stopped at the Tableau where I had a wonderfully refreshing salad of watermelon, olive and feta over a bed of greens.
I wanted to recreate this salad for my family, but decided to give it a little tang by using tequila for the dressing. Plus Friday is National Tequila day so what better time to showcase this amazing salad. I went with cantaloupe and honeydew melons in place of the watermelon, but I do have a similar recipe using watermelon is you are interested. Instead of olives I used red onions, plus cucumbers and loads and loads of queso fresco. Dressed lightly this melon salad with tequila lime dressing hits the spot on a sweltering summer day. Serve the dressing in shot glasses for a festive touch. Enjoy!
- For salad:
- 1/2 medium honeydew melon, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1/2 medium cantaloupe melon, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh salad greens
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- For Dressing:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons tequila
- 4 teaspoons agave
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients. On a large platter for serving add fresh salad greens; arrange honeydew, cantaloupe and red onions over greens. Scatter red onions over melons and cucumber, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with queso.