Sweet Life disclosure: This post is sponsored with Society Culinaria on behalf of Flatout Bread. Thank you for supporting the companies I collaborate with to bring you exciting, new recipes.
I recently attended a street food festival and boy did I come home inspired to recreate every dish I ate. From veggie tacos, carne asada tostadas, to the spicy hot sauces every plate was a nod to the street vendors in Mexico. It was a delicious evening.
Today I want to share a delicious Paloma chicken fajita flatbread pizza inspired by the classic Mexican cocktail with a South Texas twist made with Flatout artisan thin crust, salsa, bell peppers, red onions, chicken fajitas, Mexican cheese and plenty of fresh cilantro.
It is no secret that I love a great cocktail, so I knew I wanted to incorporate the flavors of one of my favorite cocktails the Paloma in my pizza. A Paloma is a tequila based cocktail that is light, fruity and fizzy. Made with tequila, fresh lime juice, fresh grapefruit juice and grapefruit soda this cocktail makes the perfect marinade for chicken. The tequila adds zing, the citrus juices tenderize and the soda helps to caramelize the chicken.
Here in South Texas fajitas are king and I am happy to see street food vendors highlighting chicken fajitas in fun, inventive ways using fresh Mexican ingredients. So basically what I did was pull the flavors I love from Mexico and Texas to create a tasty fusion pizza.
We loved this pizza so much we have made it numerous times over the last month and it makes the perfect appetizer. I love that Flatout is low in fat, a good source of fiber and of course is perfect for wraps, pinwheels and super easy pizzas. With Flatout less is more…less calories, carbs, time with more flavor and options!
To create this fusion pizza, I begin by toasting my pizza crust in the oven. Then I spread a layer of homemade salsa as my base. I went with a chunky green chile salsa, but feel free to use your favorite store-bought salsa.
Next I added my sliced chicken fajitas – look at that caramelized goodness. Sautéed bell peppers and red onions were placed on top of the chicken.
A sprinkle of shredded Oaxacan cheese helps to bind all our yummy ingredients together. Baked until the cheese is melted then I garnish with fresh cilantro and we are ready to slice.
My chicken paloma pizza is a great dinner or appetizer option featuring Flatout. I love Flatout because it is a blank canvas; it’s a perfect partner to help people of all ages make healthier choices. Flatout can be found at most grocery stores. Click here to find stores near you that carry Flatout and have fun creating your own spin on a street style food at home.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup tequila
- ½ cup club soda
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 flatout artisan thin crust pizza crust, rustic white
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded Oaxacan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Whisk together grapefruit juice, lime zest, lime juice, salt, tequila and club soda.
- Add chicken and marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat; add olive oil.
- Cook chicken about 4 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.
- Remove chicken, add bell pepper and red onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; place flatout pizza crust on baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 8-10 minutes.
- While pizza crust bakes, slice chicken fajitas.
- Once crust has crisped, spread salsa evenly over crust.
- Add chicken, sautéed bell pepper, onions and cheese.
- Return to oven to allow cheese to melt.
- Garnish with cilantro, slice and serve.