Sweet Life Disclosure: This is a sponsored post with Unilever. Thank you for supporting the brands I collaborate with to bring you exciting, new recipes.
Hosting Thanksgiving comes with plenty of perks and I love them all. From spending time with the family, board games with the kids, thanksgiving football game and let’s not forget about the best perk of them all – plenty of leftovers. Oh tasty, tasty leftovers make this gal super happy. I’m pretty much set for the next two weeks for meals, anything from turkey enchiladas, turkey tostadas, nachos to soup Thanksgiving leftovers are the best.
I always make two turkeys for our Thanksgiving for the sole purpose of having plenty of leftovers for me to create meals plus the family stays a few days so leftovers are an easy way to feed a crowd. Last year I made grilled turkey pizzas, but this year I thought a fun grilled sandwich would be a delicious twist. I made a double batch of salsa verde to have on-hand when the family arrives to serve with tortillas chips as a pre-thanksgiving snack, so I knew I wanted to incorporate salsa verde in my grilled cheese creation. I also picked up a few jars of homemade blackberry jam at the farmer’s market to serve at breakfast. I thought the combo of spicy/sweet would work well with thick juicy slices of turkey and shredded cheese.
I mixed the salsa verde with Hellman’s to create a creamy sandwich spread. This also would be great in tortas or with baked fish. Find my salsa verde recipe here.
My salsa verde sandwich spread, a bowl of blackberry jam, plenty of sliced turkey, shredded cheese and we are all set to make grilled cheese sandwiches.
After you make your sandwiches, place them on a baking sheet in a warm oven as you continue to make sandwiches. This way when you are ready to serve they will be warm – yum.
Serve with additional salsa verde spread, jam, chips or fresh fruit.
I hope you enjoy this fun twist on thanksgiving leftovers. If you are Looking for creative ideas on how to use Thanksgiving leftovers? Check out the 4th #TuTwist webisode at ViveMejor.com! http://www.vivemejor.com/
About Tu Twist:
- Whipping up family favorites is a snap for mamá, but even the craftiest of moms look for ways to keep mealtime fresh. Unilever Foods created a lighthearted webseries Tu Twist to inspire mamás to put a new twist on mealtimes and family occasions, and to celebrate her signature sazón.
- Tu Twist is on a mission to fill your bellies with food and laughter, where the key ingredient is Latinas’ fun-loving nature and culinary creativity. The series features mom’s go-to brands in the cocina (kitchen) such as Hellmann’s, Knorr, Lipton, Fruttare and Breyer’s ice cream. The videos are hosted on ViveMejor.com, the online destination for recipes and kitchen hacks.
- The webseries stars Giselle Blondet, the author of I’m 50, So What? and is written by comedian and star of Comedy’s Central’s Alternatino, Arturo Castro. Giselle and Arturo each bring their own flavor to the webseries as they expertly channel their Latino family experiences for Tu Twist.
- Watch the webseries online at ViveMejor.com and use #TuTwist to share photos and your own recipe twists.
Sandwiches are personal, and everyone has their own unique and delicious favorite. We made the online sandwich conversation more interesting than ever before by showing just how fun it is to let out your creativity and by incentivizing consumers to share their own sandwich creations. Looking for inspiration? See tailgate ideas here. https://secure.promo.hellmanns.com/strangewich-your-sandwich-recipes/
- 8 slices bread of choice
- 6 tablespoons, softened
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup Hellmann’s
- ½ cup blackberry jam
- 1 pound sliced turkey
- Shredded or sliced cheese
- Preheat a griddle or grill pan.
- Spread butter on one side of four bread slices.
- Place the four slices on griddle pan or grill pan, now spread each with salsa verde spread, top with sliced turkey, and shredded cheese.
- Spread remaining slices of bread with blackberry jam, place over the cheese, then spread with remaining butter.
- Cook for two minutes or until bread is golden brown, flip and cook additional two minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Remove from grill pan, place on baking sheet and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Slice and serve warm.