Mi carino is obsessed with shrimp cocktail. We enjoy it year-round since the temperatures here in South Texas are always warm. He requested it be added to our New Year’s Eve line-up and I happily agreed. Shrimp cocktail is one of those appetizers that is a true shining star, it’s so easy to make, doesn’t require the oven or grill and can be prepared in advance.
This year I’m keeping it simple by preparing a few make ahead appetizers paired with a festive champagne punch spiked with tequila.
Tequila and shrimp – a perfect combo.
- 1 pound large cooked shrimp
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Juice of a 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- tortilla chips or crackers
- In a large bowl toss shrimp, red onion, cucumber, celery and jalapeno.
- Blend tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, ketchup, lime juice and hot sauce until smooth. Taste, add more salt if needed.
- Pour over shrimp mixture, stir to combine and place in fridge to chill.
- When ready to serve stir in cilantro; serve with additional cilantro, hot sauce and tortilla crisp or crackers.