Three years ago we made our first trip to Blanco, Texas to attend the Lavender Festival. As far as the eye can see were row upon row of vibrant lavender in every shade, hue of purple. I have been hooked on lavender every since and am always finding new ways to incorporate this beautiful herb into my recipes. So far I have made lavender brownies, stuffed strawberries and a few cocktails.
I was bummed we missed the festival this year due to heavy rain, but was thrilled to receive a tub of dried lavender from my friend in San Antonio.
Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite martini recipes that features lavender, which pairs beautifully with vodka. This cocktail begins with a base of homemade lavender syrup, which has become a necessity during the hot Texas summers. I can quickly whip up cocktails, mocktails, coolers or lemonade with this homemade lavender syrup. My lavender martini is a vision of purple and is guaranteed to become your favorite new cocktail.
- 1 ounce vodka
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- ¼ ounce lavender syrup, recipe follows
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender buds
- To a cocktail shaker filled with ice add vodka, lemon juice and lavender syrup; shake well.
- Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a lemon slice.
- For Lavender syrup: Bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat, add lavender buds and allow to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Strain, allow to cool completely and use to make cocktails, lemonade and mocktails.