Sweet and citrusy, these mini ruby red grapefruit cupcakes are made with a flecked ruby red grapefruit zest batter and topped with a rich ruby red grapefruit cream cheese frosting.
I am a HUGE fan of ruby red grapefruits. I look forward these ruby red gems every year and scoop them up by the basketful. Halved with a light sprinkle of sugar they are delicious for breakfast of late afternoon snack, spoons of sugary tartness – so good.
Not everyone in my home is a fan of ruby reds, which leads me to find creative ways to sneak in their deliciousness into a treat they will enjoy.
Originally these ruby red cupcakes were going to be a breakfast loaf topped with a thick and creamy cream cheese frosting, but my daughter requested cupcakes and the recipe was adapted. I even took it a step further and made them into mini cupcakes and I am so glad I went the cupcake route – these babies are delish!
I keep the frosting simple. I jazzed up my cream cheese frosting with ruby red juice and zest for a hint of tartness. Once frosted I topped each mini cupcake with a grapefruit segment and pecan.
These mini cupcakes have been such a hit that I often make them for girls’ night and to family reunions.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons ruby red grapefruit zest
- 1 (8-ouncblock cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ruby red grapefruit zest
- 2 teaspoons ruby red grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To make cupcakes, combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix until smooth. Add half of flour mixture and combine; repeat with remaining flour mixture. Add yogurt and vanilla; blend at low speed. Blend in zest. Scoop dough into 48 mini baking cups (about 2/ 3 full); bake until tops spring back when touched lightly in center (about 10 minutes). Remove from oven; cool completely.
- To make frosting, place cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, grapefruit zest, and grapefruit juice; beat until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with a grapefruit slice and pecans.