It’s mid-way through Hispanic Heritage Month and the celebration continues. Who am I kidding! We celebrate our Hispanic culture every day, in all the things- especially with our meals. I’m very excited to continue our partnership with Rumba Meats to bring you yet another delicious recipe featuring the Rumba Meats beef hind shank from their product line. And sharing an awesome message about a fantastic partnership with Rumba Meats and USHLI. They are thrilled to announce that Rumba Meats will be sponsoring 25 $1,000 scholarships this year!
How amazing right?! As you all know, our Angelica is currently attending the Culinary Institute of America, here in San Antonio. Her dream is becoming a reality and we couldn’t be prouder. I still remember the moment she told us she wanted to go to culinary school. Our hearts burst with pride to see how much her love for cooking all the things continues to grow each day.
As parents, we also know and understand the expenses and sacrifices of attending college. We wanted to share this fantastic scholarship information for any of you with high school seniors graduating May 2020. Encourage your high school senior to apply for this scholarship. An amazing partnership between Rumba Meats and United States Hispanic Leadership Institute and we hope that you will take advantage, click HERE to learn more.
Ready to get cooking?! You are going to love this green beef shank soup. It’s perfect for a cold day or any day (you know we make caldo all times of the year), but it will fill your tummy with warm deliciousness! Don’t worry if you can’t find Rumba Meats products in your local grocer, you can order via Amazon!! Yes, that’s the best option and you can see previous posts to see how well and secure it’s packaged. You will be so impressed.
- 1 lb. tomatillos husked removed and rinsed
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 16 cups water divided
- 2 packages Rumba beef hind shank
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 potatoes cut into fourths
- 4 corn shucked, silk removed and cut in half
- 4 carrots sliced in half
- 1/2 head cabbage cut into eighths
- 1 cup chopped cilantro for serving
- For serving: limes tortillas and salsa
- For tomatillo sauce: Place tomatillos, onion and garlic in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove tomatillos, onion and garlic and place in a
- blender, with ½ cup cooking liquid. Blend until smooth. Stir in fresh lime juice and salt. Set aside until ready to add to caldo.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add water, beef shanks, garlic, salsa verde and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and continue simmering for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat tender.
- After 2 hours, carefully skim off foam that foam at top with a spoon. Carefully add the potatoes, corn, carrots, cabbage and additional water if needed to cover vegetables.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking until all the vegetables are fork tender and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- When vegetables are tender, taste and season if needed with additional salt.
- Serve in bowls, with warm tortillas, salsa and limes.