Molletes

bollio 014 1024x685 Molletes uncategorized mexican dinners

I adore quick satisfying meals that leave you feeling content with out alot of fuss.  Sometimes there is just no wiggle room in our busy day to slave over the stove.  I would love to cook a slow simmering meal each night for my family, but c’mon who are we kidding between homework, soccer practice, church…etc. I ‘d be ecstatic to enjoy a warm bath and dine on doughnuts.  Read on …. it’s quick post tonight… We have not reached that point yet, but if you ever see a week worth of posts dedicated to doughnuts then you know I have jumped ship. On to dinner.  Molletes are perfect for a these hectic days and are extremely easy to pull together. They consists of bread lightly toasted and layered with your choice of yumminess.  These are considered street food in Mexico, but I have found them at nearly every eatery here in the Rio Grande. Every place has their own version or twist. They are typically made with bollios, but you can use any crusty bread of your choice.   I prefer to think of them as my go to meal for a busy/lazy night of cooking.  Another reason I love the mollete ii gives me the chance to use any leftovers in the fridge, sort of a cleansing your fridge as you fill your belly kinda meal.   Add anything you like, just be sure to slather on a thick coat of refried beans first, like my five year says “it’s the glue.”   Yes, beans are the glue that hold any topping your little over worked heart desires.  Have left over chicken add it. What about roasted veggies or thinly sliced ham. Or you can slather your beans, add your toppings, add cheese and broil for a toasty version.  Enjoy!! Sweet Life

bollio 012 1024x685 Molletes uncategorized mexican dinners

On this night we topped our mollete with lettuce, tomato, avocado and crumbled queso fresco.  I diced my lettuce, tomato, and avocado to a uniform size, tossed the mix with freshly squeezed lemon juice then mounded over my beans.  A quick crumble of queso fresco and dinner was served.

bollio 011 1024x685 Molletes uncategorized mexican dinners

Molletes

serves 4

3 bollios or bread of your choice, sliced in half

2 cups refried beans

1 cup of lettuce finely chopped

2 tomatoes finely diced

2 avocados finely diced

salt

pepper

olive oil

1 lime or lemon, juiced

preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place your bollios on a sheet pan and lightly drizzle with oil.

Bake until lightly crisp about 5 to 8 minutes.

Allow to cool just a bit.

In a large bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and juice of lime or lemon.

Mix well.

Slather your beans on the mollete and top with mixed salad.

Crumble queso fresco on top.

____________________________

Enjoy the Sweet Life?  Why not subscribe and never miss a easy week night recipe.

Follow me on Twitter, join me on Facebook or hey leave me a comment….

Comments

Busy…what’s that? A manicure…sure…I’ll squeeze that in between my work contracts, laundry…putting meals on the table etc…I totally get what cleaning out the fridge can signify. Don’t we all prepare fun meals like yours. BTW…love the ingredients you topped that bread with ;o))

Ciao for now,

Excellent! For whatever reason I’ve been wanting to make something with beans since earlier on today, and running into Fatteh at the grocery store and watching her buy beans definitely did not help things =P. So tomorrow I shall be running out and getting beans and some good bread to make these with,.

Thanks, Sweetlife!

~Kurious

P.S: I made those chick pea cookies Chuls posted a while back, and they were ah-may-zing! My new in-between class snack =).

Hey Bonnie! Thanks for your sweet comment. I am so tired from packing and I still have to pack tomorrow, as well as drive 4 hours the next day to get to our new place and clean it. Ugh:( I will get some good rest though probably in about five days (smile).
    Ooh, and I’m so glad that you guys make homemade smoothies. Have you tried a mango lassi at home? They are amazing. The recipe is the same as the one on my blog but with a tsp. of fresh ginger. I bet my Chuls & Pips would love that-maybe…?!
    Hope you guys have a more relaxing week than mine. XO Stella

Where have molletes been all my life? I love these! Especially how versatile they are to whatever you have on hand. These look fresh and delicious.

Using beans as glue sounds so cool! I mean, you see butter and mayonnaise being used as glue but beans?? haha….
    This looks really tasty too!!

Everything you make always looks good. Sounds good. Yum!

Please tell me if you’re still having problems with my email subscription. When I tried it, it was working. Sorry I haven’t been blogging regularly. Life keeps interrupting. *sigh*

Paz xoxo

I heart simple meals. They don’t need to be boring or contrived, like you proved here. But hey, I really WOULD love a week worth of donut posts from you. ;-)

Ironically, I was thinking about how my refried beans was enjoyed with tons of melted cheese on top.This is a great weekday meal. I love your pictures with the avocado.

I never heard of Molletes before, but it makes totally sense to me. Crusty bread with yumminess should be my middle name, lol. It looks delicious.

Loooks like you are having busy busy days these days!! Sometimes life can be hectic. after a full day of work and going home for a homecook meal can be hard eh? Simple meals can do :) or even frozen food? Bake a already made pizza?? Can make life a little easier :)

have a wonderful day !!!
    jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca

I love stuff like this, Bonnie! Sometimes simple food is the best, you know? Plus, anything topped with avocado, tomato, and cilantro is awesome-queso too, of course;).
    Oh, and I kind of speak Spanish, but I’ve never heard this word ‘molletes’. Strange. I obviously like molletes though (smile)…
    p.s. With all of this moving, I want to sit in a hot bath and eat donuts too!

I would love a warm bath and donuts. When you figure out how to make time for that, let me know what your secret is.

Man I love refried beans. Haven’t had them in far too long! These look awesome!

I don’t think I’ve ever had molletes before. Looks great and would definitely love to attempt this once avocado season comes.

I don’t have any kids to attend to and I still don’t have the luxury of time to indulge in hot warm bath. Or, maybe that’s because I don’t have a bathtub?? ;-)

These may be simple…but they look like high cuisine! You did such a wonderful job with your presentation. I’m all about simplicity when it comes to my evening meals. This looks great!