|January 17, 2012||Posted by Vianney under Appetizers, Cooking with Kids, Dinners, Mexican|
Dinner at our house is major. Breakfast is usually on the go, on the fly.
Lunch is usually leftovers, a quick taquito de aguacate (my favorite) or a heaping bowl of oatmeal.
But, dinner is another story. This is our time. Time to experiment, try a new recipe or perfect a future recipe that will eventually find its place here. We seem to have all fallen into the ritual of slowing down, unwinding from our day through the kitchen. I have to say it has been a wonderful refuge for our family.
This does not mean that every recipe that emerges from our kitchen is a labor intensive process. No. The family time and the company especially the company is what that makes the meal special.
Take for instance the all favorite quesadilla. Crispy tortillas held together with gooey cheese. The filling options are endless, really you can stuff these babies with anything and trust me I have. But today we went with hominy. Hominy is one of my to go pantry essentials. The hominy saute is based off one of my favorite hominy recipes. Topped with VELVEETA® and RO*TEL® , delish! Enjoy!
VELVEETA® and RO*TEL® are hosting an amazing sweepstakes to encourage simple, easy weeknight family meals and entertainment ideas. Winners will be picked each week, and the more points you collect the more chances you have of winning! Grand prize winner will receive $15,000!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of VELVEETA/RO*TEL. The opinions and text are all mine.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 15 oz can hominy, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 8 oz VELVEETA®, sliced
- 1 – 14.5 oz Mexican Style Ro*Tel® with Cilantro and Lime Juice, drained
- 6 flour tortillas
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add onion and celery and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in hominy and Ro*Tel®, continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Divide hominy mixture evenly between 3 tortillas.
- Wipe your skillet clean with damp cloth and keep warm.
- Add sliced of VELVEETA® cheese and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Top with remaining 3 tortillas.
- Cook quesadillas in warm skillet (adding oil by tbsp if needed) until golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
© 2012, Sweet Life. All rights reserved. Please contact us to request written approval for reproduction of images and recipes.