Hearty Garbanzo Soup
I personally like to beef up my dishes with beans, lentils, quinoa, barley and my old reliable garbanzo beans. I keep my pantry stocked with garbanzo beans to add to my salads, soups, purees and to stuff my chiles with. This hearty soup features garbanzo beans as the main protein, but they also help to add texture and thicken the broth.
Pasta adds another layer of texture while adding a boost of comfort to this soup. Mexican style diced tomatoes with green chiles add a burst of freshness with a hint of spice. This is a pantry friendly soup that I often make when my morning has slipped by and it’s suddenly dinner time. Some days I might add a few chopped carrots or a few stalks of celery to the mix, but I always, always make a double batch. The family is content and I am set for lunch the next day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz Mexican style diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup elbow macaroni uncooked, gluten free - optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro washed
- In a dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, oregano, cumin and sauté until onions are tender and translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté additional minute. Add chickpeas stir to combine and heat through.
- With the back of the spoon lightly mash half of the chickpeas to help thicken soup. Add diced tomatoes, broth and bring to a boil. When soup reaches boil add pasta, salt, pepper, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Taste, adjust seasoning, add cilantro and serve warm.
Today, I’m happy to join a group of talented bloggers to throw a Surprise Virtual Baby Shower for the very lovely Alyssa from Everyday Maven! Yay! Suprise Alyssa. I am thrilled to be part of this celebration and send you a big virtual hug! Congrats! Thank you Faith and Liz for organizing this fun celebration!
This hearty soup would be a wonderfully easy meal for a busy mom and This is why I am glad to have joined in on this fun celebration. Here’s a few of the recipes that we are sure any mommy would love!
Fried Egg Topped Curried Sweet Potatoes from A Beautiful Bite
Chocolate Orange Protein Shake from The Lemon Bowl
Spaghetti Squash Hash from Eats Well With Others
Pumpkin White Bean Soup from Blue Kale Road
Slow Cooker Red Wine Pot Roast from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Slow Cooker Beef and Bacon Stew from Girlichef
Lemon Pepper Chicken with Arugala from Virtually Homemade
Roast Chicken Ratatouille from An Edible Mosaic
Old-Fashioned Swiss Steak from Karista’s Kitchen
Spiced Honey Nut and Seed Snack Mix from Fake Food Free
Charred Brussel Sprout, Bacon, and Toasted Sesame Guacamole from Baker by Nature
Quick and Easy Cucumber Bites, Three Ways from Hip Foodie Mom