Dr Pepper Marinated Steaks and Black Bean Salsa

DRPEPPER STEAK WITH BEAN SALSA 030 1024x685 Dr Pepper Marinated Steaks and Black Bean Salsa uncategorized texas products mexican dinners

My hubby is super sweet, but sometimes I think he hatches plans.

Yes, don’t be fooled by his nice manners, he’s a sly one.

Take last week for instance he came home with a shopping bag “just because,” so he says.  I of course immediately think ..oh I love him, how thoughtful. (I’m so naive)

I quickly grab the bag like a mad woman to view it’s contents.   At first i am blown away, yes.. score…two new cookbooks,  and to top it off a Mexican cookbook and a Texas cookbook…oh I love him, I love him.

He knows me, yes he does, this cunning man..I cannot resist cookbooks.

“oh thanks babe, I love them,”  He bends down to kiss me and says “oh babe when I saw them, I knew you..just..had..to..have..them..”

The whole day I flipped through the pages, excitedly while on the phone with my little sister praising my hubby and how wonderful he was.

The she says “you know it’s Father’s Day this weekend?”

“ya, I know..and that’s exactly what I am looking for a great recipe to cook for my man.”

She laughs, “he got ya!”

Enjoy, Sweet Life

DRPEPPER STEAK WITH BEAN SALSA 029 1023x639 Dr Pepper Marinated Steaks and Black Bean Salsa uncategorized texas products mexican dinners

Happy Father’s Day to all the lovely father’s out there, may you have a great weekend.   Pamper your Father this weekend my loves, they deserve it….

I hope you all have a great weekend, till Monday.   Stop by Monday for pics of The Blanco Lavender Festival and a Giveaway…….

TEXAS SOURCE…well the Dr Pepper of course my friends…. Dr Pepper musuem

DRPEPPER STEAK WITH BEAN SALSA 018 1024x569 Dr Pepper Marinated Steaks and Black Bean Salsa uncategorized texas products mexican dinners

Dr Pepper Marinated Steak

The Texas Cowboy Kitchen

by Grady Spears with June Naylor

1   pound skirt or flank steak

1   16 ounce bottle Dr Pepper

3 tbsp vegetable oil

2 tbsp all-around beef rub (recipe follows)

In a large glass or ceramic casserole dish, combine the skirt steak and Dr Pepper for 4 to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Prepare a hot grill. Remove the marinated skirt steak from the Dr Pepper and coat in the beef rub. Grill the meat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until desired temperature is reached.

Remove the skirt steak from the grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.

*************************************************************************

All- Around Beef Rub

The Texas Cowboy Kitchen

makes 1 1/2 cups

1/4 kosher salt

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup coarsely ground black pepper

In a bowl combine all of the ingredients, blending well.  Store at room temperature in a airtight container.  Make sure to remix the seasoning before each use.

***********************************************************************************************************

Black Bean Salsa

Ultimate Mexican

Better Home and Gardens

2010

makes 3 1/2 cups

1 15ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 cup chopped and seeded cucumber (1medium)

1/2 cup chopped tomato (1medium)

1/2 cup sliced green onion (4)

1/4 cup lime juice

1 tbsp snipped fresh cilantro

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp salt

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

in a medium bowl combine beans, cucumber, tomato, green onion, lime juice, cilantro, oil, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours

Use a slotted spoon to serve

Comments

well, I guess folks didn’t respond back to this just to say HI… this is a killer meal and hubby should request this often…
    thanks for the entry… you really are a sweetheart…

Hahahaha… gotta hand it to Mr. Sweetlife, he is cunning like Fantastic Mr. Fox ;)
    I’m not a fan of Dr. Pepper, but I would be willing to use it in cooking. Your steak looks like perfection. I probably should read blogs before I eat breakfast. Aiya!
    And the salad looks ferosh. Lovely :)

What lovely looking meat! Dr. Pepper, eh??? :) Your story is very cute! Now you have a new recipe for every night of the summer, too! The photos are compelling. I will NOT show my hubby. He will get ideas… but maybe that is OK. We both love cooking for them, anyway!
    Hugs.
    Valerie

Dr. Pepper to marinate the steak!? Oh my!!! I want to try this! I’m sure my man would like it too.

Well at least your man knows how to buy you cookbooks! mine things food is fuel as he kept eating my food like non-stop haha.

Btw, your photos are magnificent!

WOWIE-ZOWIE!! Never, ever would have thought to use Dr. Pepper as a marinade – looks absolutely divine!! And I have a thing for black beans anything!

The marinated steak looks great!! I love steak and I’m always looking for fun ways to cook my steak. My brother-in-law recently made pulled pork cooked with Dr. Pepper when he invited me and my husband over for dinner. It was really good, too.

Wow, Dr. Pepper and steaks. I’m not a soda drinker anymore, but I have to say I am intrigued about the effects of Dr. Pepper and Coke on meat. I may have to grab a can and give this a try. Everything sounds just delish!

Dear Bonnie – What a great little story! So warm and heartfelt and so lovely to see in your marriage :)

The steak looks amazing!!! The rub and the salsa – all uber delicious.

What a clever way for your hubby to get you to fix him such an excellent meal. Well done, both ways!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Such a simple & marvellous meal! It’s 9am over here right now and still wondering what to cook for tonight’s dinner. Sunday lunch always a simple one. Hope you’re having a great weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

10. Amy @ cookbookmaniac says

I love crazy trashy ingredients. This steak is exactly the stuff I love to cook, eat and share. Yum!

Not only does she cook, but she has a knack for storytelling, too. I feel like I know a little bit about you and your husband now — so nice. And this dish looks fantastic. Black beans are one of my favorite foods, which makes this a must-try dish.

Hey Bonnie, your guy sounds like Cauldron Boy. Sweet yet smart and calculating (smile).
    This steak looks wonderful. You know I don’t eat a lot of steak, but I’m intrigued by the use of Dr. Pepper for meats like this cut and ribs in Texas. Sounds so good…

I love how HE bought YOU a cookbook for father’s day. I need to train my future husband to do things like that.

This steak looks delicious! Especially with the salsa…meat and veggies…the way I like it!

Oooh, he’s a sneaky, sneaky man. But you benefit as well, so I guess there’s no reason to complain? Haha.
    Your presentation is absolutely gorgeous, as always.

~Kurious Kitteh

What a delicious steak dinner! I’ve never heard of Dr. Pepper used as a marinade but I can just imagine how good it would be!

I do not eat steak but that looks incredibly delicious..liked the black bean salsa..will definitely try this one out..thanks for sharing this…have a nice weekend!

17. Lazaro says

What a vibrant, wonderful photo. Love the use of DP as a marinade. The steak looks awesome, as does the dish as a whole. I would be very happy with that.

Be Well!