Turkey Tomatillo Casserole

turkey enchilada casserole 001 680x1024 Turkey Tomatillo Casserole uncategorized mexican dinners

Happy Tuesday!  Sorry for not posting, but with comp problems and the Thanksgiving holiday I figured we all could use the break.  Our holiday evolved into a very laid back weekend.   My hubby’s parents came in from Driscoll, Texas and the girls’ couldn’t have been more excited.  My in-laws do not travel much, so for them to drive  2 and 1/2 hours is a big deal.  I had hoped for a longer visit, but they returned home after our Thanksgiving meal.  With no plans, the girls’ decided we should enjoy a weekend of movies.  Movies, turkey, pie, movies, cranberries, turkey…all in all a blissful weekend.  After a weekend of turkey +mash+ gravy overload, Monday was the perfect opportunity to revive our leftovers.  A quick turkey casserole swimming in a tomatillo sauce gave our holiday bird a much needed new dimension.  You could easily roll the tortillas into enchiladas.  I opted not to, out of sheer laziness.  Please forgive the pictures for they are not entirely the most appealing I have presented you with.  I find comfort food a tad difficult for me to shoot, I really can’t explain why, maybe I am overly eager to consume my plate…that’s it, pure gluttony!   Enjoy!    Sweet Life

turkey enchilada casserole 005 1024x609 Turkey Tomatillo Casserole uncategorized mexican dinners

Tomatillo Turkey Casserole

serves 6

1 pound tomatillos, husks removed

1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped

1/2 medium onion chopped

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp cumin

Salt

pepper

water

12-14 corn tortillas

canola oil

2 cups of cheese (i used asadero and quesadilla) of your preference

Bring 3 cups of water to boil, you want the tomatillos covered. Add tomatillos, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Check your tomatillos they should be soft, but they should remain their shape. Remove the tomatillos from the pot and reserve the cooking liquid. Let tomatillos cool until manageable and remove their stems. Chop and place in blender with onion, cilantro and cumin. Blend quickly, you want to the ingredients to come together but have some texture. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add the blended mixture and ¼ to ½ cup liquid water to loosen the sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. The sauce should coat a spoon. Season to tatse with salt and pepper. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet, pass each tortilla in the heated oil, allow your tortilla to slightly crisp (not a tostada stage). Begin your casserole. Spoon a bit tomatillo mixture on bottom of your casserole dish(9/13) Place a layer of tortillas, turkey, cheese and sauce. Repeat process, you should have enough sauce for three layers. Bake in  a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, remove from oven.  Allow the casserole to rest for easier slicing.

Makes 2 cups

Comments

Born in Paris, TX / spent my teenage years in Austin, TX — I’m a true Texan at heart, I think! The worst part about being an expat is the lack of real TexMex. Now if I can ever get my hands on some tomatillos, I’ve got a great idea on how to use them!

I love tomatillos and corn tortillas and this reminds me of a pork casserole I made years ago from my Mexican cookbook that I loved and havent done in years! Thanks for the inspiration!

sadly, tomatillos are very hard to come by in Australia. We can only get the canned stuff (even that is hard to find!). I don’t even know what it tastes like. I love mexican food and all of my mexican cookbooks are littered with recipes that have tomatillos in it. I guess I’m gonna have to make a special trip to the northern hemisphere and seek them out.

4. grace says

i’ve seen a lot of uses for leftover turkey, but this one definitely ranks among my favorites. tomatillos are so underutilized! great dish. :)

I’m so glad to hear you had a relaxing weekend! Full of good food, family, and fun. Can’t go wrong there.

Personally, I think this looks delicious. Almost like a tomatillo lasagna. Comfort food at its finest.

I’d love to try your casserole! Looks like a tortilla-turkey lasagna. I’ve never had turkey casserole or any casserole with Mexican flavors in it.

Come to think of it…I haven’t had anything Mexican in ages. The last time I made salsa verde with tomatillos was 4 years ago. And that came out of the can! I was so excited when i saw them. They stopped importing them. :(

Most comfort foods in many cultures aren’t photogenic. That seems to be quite universal.

I don’t what you are talking about, because I find your photograph mouthwatering and oh-so tempting! This turkey dish looks incredible and absolutely delicious. Sadly, we have no turkey (I didn’t get to cook this year), but will most seriously consider this dish for the turkey I plan to make for the Xmas holiday. Thanks so much for the great idea!

Yum! What a great way to use left overs. I’m glad you had a chance to relax during Thanksgiving…
    My biggest problem taking food photos is that I’m starving by the time the food is plated, definitely not ideal timing to make everything perfect :)

Wow! Looks fabulous. I may have to try this even though we never had turkey on Thanksgiving. (But frozen turkey meat is fairly easy to find here.) Wonder if I could use less cheese though, or perhaps not use it at all? I’m mildly lactose intolerant.

reminds me of chicken lasagna with great flair – the taste must be awesome… glad you had a wonderful and peaceful holiday and hope the upcoming season is a blessed one for you and the family

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving day! I love such low key weekends with lots of good food. Sounds perfect to me (lol). This casserole looks delicious!

Hey Bonnie! Oh my Gosh, this kind of reminds me of white pizza layered with turkey. I don’t know why;) It sounds so good though. And since it’s 5 here and I had no lunch, I would probably totally break my veg diet and eat this if it were in front of me (smile but seriously)…
    Glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving, Bonnie.
    XO,