Guava Margarita

gu margarita 016 680x1024 Guava Margarita fruit margaritas beverages

New year’s in my childhood home meant two things.

Pozole

Bunuelos

So how does a guava margarita fit into the mix?  Nowhere, really I had leftover guavas from making my Ponche Navideno and I find sipping a cocktail as I stand over my pot skimming foam for my pozole broth makes for a more enjoyable time.

Margarita motivation.

gu margarita 008 680x1024 Guava Margarita fruit margaritas beverages

Enjoy! Sweet Life

guavas – plum sized , yellowish skinned fruit with a pear like taste. their inside is filled with filled with small seeds some edible, some very tough. they can be used for liquados, aguas or candied.  sold  fresh, frozen or jarred with alimbar (sugar syrup)

You can purchase guava juice or make your own.  Peel guavas, remove seeds and blend.  Strain and your ready to go.  Some people prefer not to peel, but I find the skin can sometimes add a bitter aftertaste. It is a little time consuming, but adds great flavor.

gu margarita 033 1024x680 Guava Margarita fruit margaritas beverages

Guava Margarita

makes 4 margaritas

salt

lime wedges

1 cup tequila

1 cup guava juice

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 cup Cointreau

ice cubes

On a small plate spread salt.  With lime wedges moisten rim of 6 ounce glasses.  Dip glasses into salt.   Place glasses into freezer to chill.

In a pitcher combine tequila, guava juice, lime juice and Cointreau.  Remove glasses from freezer and serves margaritas mixture over ice. Garnish with guava slices.

Comments

Oh me oh my. This post could not have come at a better time.

I was in Kauai over Christmas and was absolutely spoiled by the abundance of all things guava. I had a glass of guava nectar with breakfast just about every morning.

The thought of it in a margarita makes me want to do a little dance.

Mmmmm…sounds like the perfect way to unwind :) The hubs just made some wonderful guava rice pudding from some fresh guavas we found at the Mexican market…love that taste. Salud!

Yum, Bonnie! This is such a pretty drink. I love guava too. It is actually grown near me in the Miami/Dade area, and a lot of people have trees apparently. I bet I could get some nice local guava. Well, probably. Apparently, it’s also in demand down here.
    Hey, I hope you guys have a great New Year. Try not to drink too many of these;-)
    XOXO,
    Stella

I love guavas! have not eaten it for a long time. I like to eat it just as it is, seeds and all :D The guava juice looks very refreshing and delicious. Hope I can get to taste some one day. Thanks very much for sharing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

It’s so cold here I’ve been drinking hot tea by the gallons – but I wouldn’t turn down one of these yummy margaritas! Hope you had a great Christmas! Happy New Year! xoxo

oh my goodness, that pot of pozole must have been happy, or was that you… these just sound wonderfully delicious, makes me want fresh guavas right now