|October 24, 2011||Posted by Vianney under Margaritas|
Last week we had exactly two days of Fall weather. Lows in the 60′s. I threw open every window in our tiny apartment, shut off the AC and soaked in every ounce of crisp air. In South Texas any day when the temperature falls below 90′s is a cause for celebration. I had planned on celebrating with a batch of brownies. My kids had other plans. I sipped my pumpkin spiced coffee as my girls fiercely argued that on a day this perfect ”we should be at the park or taking a walk.”
Don’t you love kids? They were spot on. Why spend the day cooped away when we could immerse ourselves in Fall. In the evening as I loaded the dishwasher I thought back on our wonderful day. I couldn’t help but wonder if Texas would be so kind to bless us with a few more days like today. We shall see, but in the meantime every great day should end with a Fall margarita. My brownie celebration was put on hold for a slightly more adult treat – Apple Margaritas, Enjoy!
I played around with the salt rim on this margarita just for fun, feel free to use only salt. I first thought of using the apple skin, but the mix was too moist. Needing a drier texture I tried freeze dried apples with great results. In the food processor I pulsed freeze dried apples with salt until coarse. Run your lime around rim and dip into apple/salt mix. Strain your fresh juice for bits of skin or seeds. The color will vary with the type of apple used.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 oz freeze dried apples
- lime wedges
- 1 cup tequila
- 1 cup fresh apple juice, strain for any small bits of skin or seeds
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup Cointreau
- ice cubes
- apple slices for garnish
- On a small plate spread salt, if using only salt.
- Apple Salt Mix- In a food processor pulse salt/freeze dried apple until coarse
- With lime wedges moisten rim of 6 ounce glasses.
- Dip glasses into salt.
- Place glasses into freezer to chill.
- In a pitcher combine tequila, fresh apple juice, lime juice and Cointreau.
- Remove glasses from freezer and serve margarita mixture over ice.
- Garnish with apple slices.
© 2011, Sweet Life. All rights reserved. Please contact us to request written approval for reproduction of images and recipes.