I wanted to squeeze in one more Holiday Margarita before the BIG Turkey day. Hey, while you prep your cranberry sauce why not make the simple syrup for this colorful margarita. A pop of color to your table or a dose of sanity for the busy day. Keep company busy with a refreshing margarita and plates of appetizers while you add the finishing touches to your Holiday meal.
I plan on making a huge batch of cranberry syrup and pumpkin syrup to take home this Thanksgiving. Let’s be honest after 10-12 hours in the kitchen, your gonna need tequila. Enjoy!
Fresh cranberries are simmered with sugar and water to create a simple syrup. I used piloncillo in my simple syrup, but regular sugar works just as well. Simmer until the cranberries burst and be sure to smash the heck out of them with a wooden spoon or potato smasher. You want to release the entire cranberry flavor, this also gives you the deepest cranberry color. Another tip try substituting freshly squeezed orange juice instead of water for another level of flavor.
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- ½ grated piloncillo or sugar
- ½ cup water
- Lime wedges
- 1 cup tequila
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup Cointreau
- Ice cubes
- Cranberries for garnish
- On a small plate spread salt.
- With lime wedges moisten rim of 6 ounce glasses.
- Dip glasses into salt.
- Place glasses into freezer to chill.
- Simmer cranberries, water, piloncillo or sugar until cranberries burst.
- With a wooden spoon smash the cranberries to release their entire flavor.
- Strain and allow syrup to cool.
- In a pitcher combine tequila, cranberry syrup, lime juice and Cointreau.
- Remove glasses from freezer and serve margarita mixture over ice.