Zucchini Fries with Tequila-Spiked Avocado Dip
I love fries. Who doesn’t?
Salty, hot, fries piled high, smothered in ketchup. This gal’s idea of a good time. Now try explaining this salty, hot pile of fries to your thighs, this is where it gets ugly.
Thighs don’t understand, care or even bother to listen to my reasoning for wanting a salty, hot fresh pile of fries.
I hate thighs.
So to nix my craving I have turned to baked fries, yes they actually taste great.
baked sweet potato fries
baked carrot fries
baked green bean fries
baked zucchini fries
I have tried them all!
And guess what? They are pretty freaking tasty! And the best part – the dipping sauces.
The combinations can range from simple mayo with chiles or honey ginger to the boozy with tequila spike avocado… they are endless. My daughter’s enjoy them, my hubby the carnivore gobbles them up and most importantly I nix a craving.
A huge salty, hot pile of zucchini fries. Take that you thighs.
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 4-5-inch sticks
- 2 cups Maseca, for tortillas
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine Maseca, salt, pepper and oregano, set aside.
- In a pie plate or bowl whisk 2 eggs.
- Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg, shake to remove excess, and then dredge the zucchini sticks in the Maseca mix.
- Place the coated strips on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all the zucchini strips have been coated.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove from oven, flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the zucchini fries are golden brown.
- Serve immediately with dip of your choice.
These fries are dredge with Maseca, the corn flour that you use to make corn tortillas. They give the fries a toasted flavor and help to keep the fries from getting soggy. They avocado is lightly spiked with tequila, which makes it a heavenly dipping sauce for us adults. Feel free to omit for the children.
- 1 ripe avocado, pit removed
- 1 cup sour cream or crema Mexicana
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- Purée avocado, sour cream, lime juice and tequila until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
It’s Summer Fest with Foodnetwork, where bloggers team up to share their favorite recipes. Check them out!
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Quick and Easy Sesame Summer Squash Stir-Fry
Cooking With Elise: Orange Summer Squash Bread
Feed Me Phoebe: Summer Squash and Cornmeal Cakes With Tarragon
And Love It, Too: Peter Pan Squash Spiced Oven Fries
Made By Michelle: Pattypan Squash and Tomato Frittata
Cooking Channel: Our Top 5 Favorite Squash Recipes
Daily*Dishin: Summer Squash Confetti Salad
Delicious Lean: Summer Squash Ribbons With Feta and Pine Nuts
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Summer Squash Chips
Ingredients, Inc.: Summer Squash and Kale Sauté
Thursday Night Dinner: Summer Squash Medley
Sweet Life Bake: Zucchini Fried With Tequila-Spiked Avocado Dip
Dixie Chik Cooks: Fried Summer Squash Parmesan Sliders
Healthy Eats: Summer Squash Any Way You Slice It
FN Dish: Cheesy Summer Squash