Pecan Pie Margarita
I am up to my elbows in groceries, silverware and football decorations. With the excitement of our Houston Texans playing this year on Thanksgiving Day (super stoked) I almost forgot to feature an amazing celebratory margarita. I mean turkey, football and tequila on the same day it’s almost too much for this chica!
This year I had planned on combining pumpkin and cranberry, a sweet, savory margarita twist. But last week as I flipped through the latest Food Network magazine I spotted pecan pie soda – what? Swoon~
I just knew I had to play around with this idea. I made the syrup; actually I doubled the recipe in preparation for Thanksgiving and began adding tequila little by little. I wanted to taste the pecan infusion, but not end up with an extremely sweet margarita. I rimmed the glass with a mix of salt and brown sugar and what’s pecan pie without the tasty crust. A few snips with my cookie cutters, a quick bake and we are set.
Pecan Pie Margarita
I hope you’ll give it a try, even with a splash of sparkling water this syrup would make a great soda for the kiddos. But after an entire day day of cooking, cleaning and organizing add the tequila, a hefty dose. Relax, unwind and pat yourself on the back for another successful Thanksgiving accomplished.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Abrazos, besos y mucho carino!
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar, plus ¼ cup more to rim glass
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1/2 cup Cointreau
- 1 cup tequila
- Pie crust
- Ice cubes
- Bring the water, pecans, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, reducing to 3/4 cup, about 40 minutes.
- Strain and cool completely.
- On a small plate combine salt and brown sugar
- Lightly dip glasses into pecan pie syrup to moisten rim of 4- (6ounce) glasses.
- Roll glasses in salt/brown sugar mixture to create your rim.
- Place glasses into freezer to chill.
- In a large pitcher add pecan pie syrup, cointreau and tequila.
- Remove glasses from freezer and serve margarita mixture over ice.
- Garnish with the pecans and pie crust
Heavily adapted from the Food Network Magazine Nov. Issue 2012