Sparkling Citrus Margaritas
I’m ringing in the New Year with a fun twist on the Margarita. Last year I created a margarita from our family tradition of las doce uvas, but this year I’m vamping up my margarita with a bit of the bubbly. A hint of fresh citrus, a touch of sweetness, topped off with champagne and you’re ready to ring in the New Year.
Here’s to ringing in 2013 in style. Enjoy!
There’s nothing like ringing in the New Year with a little bubbly
- 1 bottle Champagne or other sparkling wine
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 cup Cointreau
- 1 cup Tequila
- ¼ cup sugar (optional), for added sweetness
- Lime wedges
- Combine fresh grapefruit juice, Cointreau, tequila and sugar. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Pour enough salt into a saucer to cover the bottom. Rub a lime half over the rim of each champagne glass and upend into the salt to crust it lightly. Pour about 3 ounces of the tequila mixture into each glass; fill the rest of the way with Champagne.
Adapted from Mexico One Plate at a Time: Rick Bayless