The perfect addition to your Mother’s Day celebration, the concha cake! A giant pink concha sliced in half then filled with creamy whipped cream, macerated strawberries. Easy to make and oh so delicious!
I’m taking the concha to the next level just in time for you to SPOIL your mami. I plan to spoil all the mamis in my life this year con mucho amor.
Remember the concha ice cream sandwiches I made last year; they were such a hit I knew I wanted to create something else featuring the beloved concha.
When I spotted these Cake size conchas at La Michoacána I had the perfect idea.
Sliced, then filled with fresh whipped cream and macerated strawberries it makes for one of the prettiest, yet easiest Mother’s Day desserts.
If you do not have a La Michoacána where you live, you could easily create this dessert with regular size conchas, slice and serve individually.
Macerating is the process of soaking fruit in liquid, which softens it and also often adds flavor or sweetness. Strawberries are often “macerated” simply by sprinkling them with sugar because doing so draws the liquid out of the berries and creates a syrup. I like to mix it up by adding lavender sugar or a few teaspoons of tequila or rum to my berries for an extra punch of flavor.
- 1 cake size concha or 6 regular size conchas sliced
- 1 pound strawberries hulled (halved or quartered if large)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For berries: Stir together strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until juices are released, at least 30 minutes
- For whipped cream: Whip the heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the vanilla and sugar; continue whipping on medium speed until the soft peaks return, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Layer whipped cream over sliced concha, top with strawberries, then place top slice over strawberries. For cake size concha, slice and serve. For regular size, serve with knife and fork for guests.