Rick Bayless’s Slow Cooked Achiote Pork

butt tacos 034 1024x927 Rick Baylesss Slow Cooked Achiote Pork uncategorized mexican dinners celebrity chefs

I’m sorry…it was just too funny not to post….

Well it’s Sunday and what does Sweetllife want to do on Sunday? Nothing —people c’mon I work and work all week can I have Sunday’s. Okay just venting ..let’s start again…On Sunday I want to relax but not give up my good eats, so I decided to slow cooked a pork butt, bone in wrapped in banana leaves…after I took my first bite I came to the conclusion that I must wrap everything in banana leaves, they give it such a earthy flavor. Maybe I should wrap my hubby in banana leaves, ya think the earthiness would help him take out the garbage faster?? just kidding babe….

butt tacos 056 1024x882 Rick Baylesss Slow Cooked Achiote Pork uncategorized mexican dinners celebrity chefs

The liquid used to keep the pork butt moist was achiote mixed with fresh lime juice…    Achiote is a a paste of ground annato (achiote seeds), garlic, vinegar and a blend of different spice..depending where you purchase it. Mine contained coriander seeds which I love, so that ‘s the mix I used. You can find this paste in any Mexican store or online. The only change I made to Rick’s(Bayless) recipe..yes Rick my yoda, my Luke Skywalker, my Han Solo…you get the picture was to add roasted  poblanos. While I roasted my poblanos I also roasted two serranos and mixed them with my guac..oh ya spicy but nice…. Try these butt tacos, their sure to give ya some junk in the trunk…oh I kill myself..Enjoy!!

butt tacos 072 1024x924 Rick Baylesss Slow Cooked Achiote Pork uncategorized mexican dinners celebrity chefs

Slow Cooked Achiote Pork

serves 6

Rick Bayless

mexican everyday

half a 3.5 ounce pkg achitoe seasoning

3/4 cup fresh lime juice divided

salt

half a 1 pound pkg of banana leaves –defrosted if frozen

a 3 pound bone in pork shoulder roast–I used pork butt

1 large onion sliced about 1/4 inch thick

1 large red onion thinly sliced

about 1/2 cup roasted fresh chile salsa

butt tacos 090 1024x685 Rick Baylesss Slow Cooked Achiote Pork uncategorized mexican dinners celebrity chefs

Place the achiote seasoning in a small bowl. Pour in 1/2 cup lime juice and 2 tsp salt, then use the back of a spoon to work the mixture into a smooth , thickish marinade

If you have banana leaves, cut 2 foot sections and use them to line a slow cooker- lay one down the length, the other across the width. Lay in the pork and pour the marinade over and around roast. scatter the white onion over the meat.

Pour 1/2 cup water sround the meat. Fold up the banana leaves to roughly cover everything. cover and slow cook on high for 6 hours, until the meat is fall of the bone tender.

While the meat is cooking, combine the red onion with the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice in a small bowl. sprinkle with salt, toss and set aside to marinate, stirring from time to time.

Use tongs to transfer thr meat and onions to a dinner plate. spoon off any rendered fat thats floating in the juices. If there is a lot of brothy sauce- 2 cups or more- tio or ladle it into a sauce pan and boil it down to about 1 cup to concentrate the flavors. Taste the sauce and season with salt and por over meat. serve with salsa and lime marinated onions.

24Tbadgegirlichef Rick Baylesss Slow Cooked Achiote Pork uncategorized mexican dinners celebrity chefs

I am submitting this for Two for Tuesdays..

Comments

Hi Bonni! Thanks so much for joining the Two for Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop and I hope to see you again next week! What amazing tacos! I usually use beef, but I am starting to warm up to pork now that I can get pastured. This is going on my must try list and I love the butt tacos photo! You are such a joker. I grabbed your feed. Keep it REAL! alex.

This recipe looks delicious and so summer and colorful! I love it! And I love your fun creative pictures! Thanks so much for adding this to our Two for Tuesdays blog hop! I hope we see you there next week too!

YUM!! I adore a good butt ;)….they look amazing! And nope, never too late! Thanks for submitting these to Two for Tuesdays! (When you get a moment, go back and click “hit here to enter” at the bottom of the post, then enter the URL to this post so your link will show up and encourage others to visit!!)

Your butt tacos inspired me to take a new approach to my fish tacos (okay, that just reads sooo weird). I didn’t have anchiote sauce so I invented…well, something. Garlic salt with ancho chile powder, coriandor, oregano, splash of vinegar, lime juice, olive oil and slathered it on catfish.

I made a point to read this post for some guidance before diving into my sauce. It was delic. Thanks!

YUM! Tacos are the best. In our house it’s what we use to use up all our leftovers. But this recipe is something else entirely—not to mention the entertaining photos.

• Vianneybonnie says

What a honor to have you stop..I love Maseca and use it often. The website is amazing and I love all the recipes.

HAHAHA. The immaturity of that butt taco imprint on the tortilla wrap made me laugh out loud, you’re funny ;]

I’m really beginning to like how creative you are when you take photographs of your food. Like the one you’ve made here: spices + limes = splat (squished spices and limes).

Your tacos look yummy, I really agree, banana leaves make everything taste delicious. Have you ever eaten glutinous rice wrapped in banana leaves? It’s also delicious, I think it’s hillarious when the wrap turns green.

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

Especially when they are shredded and mixed up into tacos as yummy looking as these. THe photos are awesome! They have me salivating all over my computer screen. I need to find some banana leaves. Pronto.

Congrats to the winners!

this is the most creative, hilarious, and at the same time appetizing post i’ve seen in a long time! i LOVE rick bayless, i LOVE mexican food, and your spread looks amazing. the colors, the flavors, the textures–i’m enamored. :)

bayless or not… I like this recipe, he is so corporate but then, who isn’t these days ….sorry – I think you did the recipe great by roasting the peppers and with the lime, the meat marries togethers well, it is a combination I use often…

There needs to be more words on food. Not in that advertisement sort of way but my attention was definitely piqued at Butt… lol… this makes me sound rather neanderthal and about the mental age of…11? Well, whatever, if you can’t have fun, what’s the point, non??

These look awesome. Love tacos, love eating with hands.

This post cracked me up! Thanks for visiting my site cos I don’t think I would have found yours.

Those are some seriously good looking tacos. You just reminded me that I haven’t had any in ages.

Banana leaves does wonders indeed. They’re even better when used fresh, they impart an earthier flavor and aroma.

Will be back for more. :)

Dear Bonnie – You and precious and because I love you, I shall ignore your primary question on this post…. :)

The Achiote pork looks wonderful – moist with the refreshing fresh accompaniments and I am sure the bouquet from the banana leaves was lovely. I mean how can you go wrong with banana leaves and the spices you used?

Absolutely gorgeous recipe and I’ll have to try it when I get a butt (pork that is :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Your’e funny! I love Achiote and the tacos look so good…
    By the way, I don’t like doing too much on Sunday either or Saturday for that matter (smile).

Who cares if the tacos make butts looks big, they look fabulous! OM Gosh you are too funny, I almost couldn’t respond for laughing so much. I love achiote and lime together, yummy!

This mad me laugh out loud when I saw it. Too funny. This is why this blog has become required reading. It may be Rick Bayless’s recipe but no way in hell could he be as funny, creative, and clever as you. Well done! Cheers!

These looks absolutely delicious and I’m sure they didn’t last long. Your pictures are fantastic – I just love the contrasts and textures of the first one especially.

Those look divine. I’m sure my but wouldn’t appreciate growing in size but my mouth wants a big old bite of this good stuff. GAH! Now I want soft tacos. :)

18. Vianneybonnie says

I was born in Aransas Pass, next to port aransas..I have lived in Driscoll texas, killeen texas(army) now I am in Edinburg texas-hubby in the masters program at UTPA..oh Edinburg or the rio grande valley rocks mexican food..oh man..love it!!

That’s hilarious!! Thank you for stopping by my blog. This looks great! Where in Texas are you from?? I’m a native Houstonian. We are in the Bulverde area just north of San Antonio. 15 years here and I still miss the restaurants in Houston. Antone’s PoBoys, yum, just the first that comes to mind. We just keep getting new Mexican food restaurants here, as if we don’t have thousands already.
    I love you blog, lots of great stuff here! ~LeslieMichele

Love your pork! Where do I get banana leaves, do you say they come frozen? I was searching for some leaves to imitate imu and could not find any. Never occurred to me to look in the frozen section. Love your taco math :-) you’re so creative!

These look so delicious. I love the taste fresh cilantro gives to the tacos. Thanks for sharing….but now I am very hungry : (