Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon-Caper Sauce and Garlic-Sauteed Spinach

turkey 086 1023x457 Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon Caper Sauce and Garlic Sauteed Spinach uncategorized dinners

I  just returned from a quick trip to Corpus Christi, Texas where my big sis lives to celebrate my niece’s 8 bday.. I had such a great time, there was chicken, potato salad and cake- oh cake how I love thee. While I was on my second piece of cake (yes second–I was stressed!!) I couldn’t shake the feeling of guilt knowing I had left town without completing the chapters I needed to read for class. I tried to shake it off , but it was there and wouldn’t let me enjoy my cake..darn I instantly knew what was waiting for me at home–late nights of catching up.. I am so close I can taste the end of this horribly bitter semester.

turkey 071 1024x935 Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon Caper Sauce and Garlic Sauteed Spinach uncategorized dinners

So I returned home and attempted to begin reading…then I almost tripped over the pile of laundry staring at me…Agghh. Laundry complete I sat down to read..”what’s for dinner?”  really??  Okay yes, in these intense times of complete failure , mixed with the guilt that I should of read these chapters two weeks ago- I cooked dinner all the while  thanking the turkey who provided me with fabulous cutlets– praised the glorious capers, white wine, lemon and  butter I knew would provide me strength to read…baby..read…

turkey 019 1024x937 Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon Caper Sauce and Garlic Sauteed Spinach uncategorized dinners

I sat down with my family and I by chance glanced slightly around the room….then clarity hit me..my goodness I have the secret weapon to end this madness..my my my am I ever slow..I will share my secret weapon..in another post..right now I want to enjoy my cutlets and smile from the inside…those chapters are so done.  I give you Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon-Caper Sauce and Garlic Sauteed Spinach….Enjoy!!

turkey 063 1024x561 Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon Caper Sauce and Garlic Sauteed Spinach uncategorized dinners

Turkey Scaloppine with Lemon-Caper Sauce and Garlic-Sauteed Spinach

By Dave Lieberman

lightly adapted by sweetlife—only change I used turkey…

Dave’s Dinners

15 grinds fresh black pepper

olive oil

1/3 cup white wine

2 tbsp capers

1 tbsp unsalted butter

1/2 lemon

make the spinach- bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Throw in the spinach and let it wilt for 30 seconds to a minute, then remove to a strainer.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds to a minute, but don’t brown. Add the strained, wilted spinach and toss in the hot oil and garlic. cook until hot but not so much that the spinach loses its dark green freshness. Season with salt to taste. keep warm while you prepare the turkey.

Cut the turkey breasts in half lenghtwise. Pound each slice with a heavy saucepan (or mallet) between two sheets of plastic wrap until they are half as thick. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture until fully and evenly coated.

Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. add the turkey pieces and fry just until lightly browned on both sides. The thin pieces of turkey will cook quickly, so be careful not to overcook. Remove the turkey from the pan and set aside. Add the wine to the pan and reduce by half. Add the capers and butter and cook another minute or so, until the butter has melted and the mixture has slightly thickened.

Pour the sauce over the chicken and finish with a squeeze of lemon over each piece. Serve with the spinach.

Comments

If I were in you, I probably would have had three slices of cake :) There’s nothing wrong with indulging every once in a while. tee hee…

LOVE Capers, and love how this turkey looks!!! nom nom nom

You always have such fun, whimsical presentation….I’d love to be a guest in your house. It’d be both a gastronomical and artistic enjoyment for sure!

Yay for getting your reading done!

Hey Bonnie, I love turkey any style. This turkey piccatta is appealing to me right now, and I have a very full tummy.
    I hope you get your reading done, so you can be at mental peace (smile)…

Bonnie, I don’t really like turkey – dry, dry, dessert DRY. But this, is beautiful! I love the sauce – been cooking salmon in a very similar fashion for years now, so I know this wlll be very good :) Love the presentation – you just got this way with food and plates and cameras….so simple but so very pretty and well, I’m just a sucker for a pretty plate!

Can’t wait to read about your revelation….

That dish looks and sounds amazing! So does your reference to 2 decadent and forbidden slices of cake. Now I want both chicken and cake. Somebody help me. HA! :)

Oh, I love the way you prepared this turkey…caper and lemon sauce, really sounds and looks delicious. Never been in Corpus Christi :-(
    The only city that I know in Texas is Dallas.

What is the secret to end the madness? I need to know!! haha Hang in there, your semester is almost over. I know Think of how good it will feel when its all over. I know when I left my last exam hall last Friday I almost started singing! and I too know that guilty feeling when you are having fun but you feel like you should be studying – bah! but you have to have fun sometime! :)

The turkey sounds so good. I love that simple scaloppine flavor with white meat it’s delicious.

Good luck with school!
    C

It sounds like the birthday was fun for all. Who can resist cake when stressed? The cutlets look wonderful and your recipe will be put to good use here. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

No such thing as too much cake. Or too many capers. This looks like a fantastic dinner!

Good luck with the end of the semester. It’ll be over before you know it, and I’m sure you’ll do well!

Who can resist cake… I am a huge procrastinator, so I feel you pain. I tend to let things pile up on me. This looks very delicious. I might switch back to chicken because you can only find whole frozen turkeys in Bulgaria. I might omit the capers too! My lemon loving sister will be happy with this dish!

How wonderful Bonnie hat you spent time with your sister and were around for your niece’s 8th birthday! Aww…my son is 8 too :)

I can imagine how hectic it is once you get back from vacation but these turkey Scaloppine cutlets with lemon and capers is wonderful.

I can absolutely taste the flavors and pairing with the spinach is beautiful – keeping with the delicate flavors.

Once again your creativity shines through in your presentation & your lovely food.

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors