Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas

cinco de mayo 126 1024x685 Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas sweet treats chuls gang baked goods

Hi guys it’s me chuls (waving). This week I will be in charge – hooray! My mom and dad both have finals this week so, they will be freaking out( I mean busy)  all week.  I’m stepping in to help, so I will be posting what I cook.  I will also be commenting on your blogs this week so I am super excited!!     My mom will post once this week,  on Wednesday where she will share with you what we had for our Cinco De Mayo celebration. On Wednesday my dad has a final so, we had our party on Sunday.    Saturday I made this cookies that  my aunt (Tita Nina) made  for my cousins. We both have the same cookbook so I thought they sounded neat. They are chocolate chip cookies made  with chickpeas. I  mashed the chickpeas before I added them to the batter. My aunt gave me this tip; she did not want her kids to freak out if they bit into the cookie and found a whole chickpea. I decided I should follow her advice my little sister can be weird too. The only thing I did different was to use butter and I added dried cherries. Like my mom says “Enjoy!” peace-Chuls

cinco de mayo 123 1024x685 Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas sweet treats chuls gang baked goods

My Aunt sent me these pics from Kansas.    hi Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas sweet treats chuls gang baked goods

Her kids loved these cookies, so did we.   The kiddos who enjoyed these a 10yr old, 5yr old,  2yr old and 1yr old- yup we have a winner.

sl2 Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas sweet treats chuls gang baked goods

Chocolate Chip Cookies (with chickpeas)

by Jessica Seinfeld

Deceptively Delicious

makes 2 dozen

nonstick cooking spray

1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar

3/4 cup trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread (I used unsalted butter)

2 large egg whites

2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 – 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

2 cups (12oz) semisweet chocolate chips

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1-  Preheat the oven to 350 coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats,baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until thick dough forms.

3  Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes; do not over bake. Transfer to a rack to cool.

4. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Comments

Ok so I tried these cookies and used a little less butter and replaced it with applesauce. They did not turn out well. Note to self…don’t try to use egg whites AND a fat replacer. I was disappointed and mad I didn’t just stick to the original recipe!

2. Mary says

Loved these! Made them for Mother’s Day and no one was able to guess the secret ingredient. Too cool :)

Chickpeas in cookies?! If this was coming from someone other than you I’d think they were crazy… since you’re posting them Chuls, they must be good cookies :)

Wish your parents luck on their exams.

Hi Chuls! These cookies are great and so unique with chickpeas! Thank you so much for your sweet message on my blog :) Wish your mom and dad good luck with their finals and I’m looking forward to seeing more of your cooking this week!

Interesting recipe, I could imagine it is delicious. I have some chickpeas in my pantry, why not try this recipe.

Great Job!!

Awwww!! That’s nice to give them a hand, good for you. And chickpeas cookies it’s new to me, sounds healthy and looks yummy. Who knew? :-)

I was pretty surprised to see a chickpea title paired with a delicious photo of a cookie beneath it!! Too clever – I’d love to give these a try!
    Can’t wait to see what else you cook up – and wish your mom and dad good luck!!

Hi Lady Chuls,
    great to see that you’re filling in for your mum :) The cookies look amazing!!! I haven’t made chocolate chip cookies in ages and if I can trick the husband and let him know after-the-fact (that there’s chickpeas), I think he’ll poop his pants.

Can’t wait to read more of your stuff. Please send your mum my love.. xoxo

i love alliteration, i love chocolate chip cookies, and i love chickpeas, although i’ve never heard of them being added to cookie batter before–great going! :)

That is something new chickpeas for cookies. love both cookies and chickpeas but never thought of combining those two. Super excited about this recipe.