Charro Beans

charro beans 015 1024x588 Charro Beans uncategorized texas products mexican

Some evenings I crave beans, okay seriously I could live off beans.  They are pretty high on my list of “last meals on this earth,” – you know you have one, everyone does. Well when I want a heartier version, a complete meal in a bowl I turn to Charro beans.  Okay I know it’s not original, I’m not reinventing the wheel, but their good, I mean really good.

charro beans 003 1024x778 Charro Beans uncategorized texas products mexican

Charro beans or frijoles charros came from Guadalajara, Mexico. Here in Texas they are also called “cowboy beans,” there is many versions and every region in Mexico has their own twist.   Here they are served in every Tex-Mex joint, in little bowls alongside your meal.  Beer can also be added to make the beans “borracho beans,”  or drunken beans, I have yet to try this, but I see myself attempting these soon.   Pinto beans are the most commonly used here in South Texas, but they can also be made with black beans or use any beans you like, after all aren’t recipes guidelines for you to create your own inspiration, I know I change most recipe to suit my families taste. I have never tried making Charro beans with canned beans, because they do require “brothy beans,”  so I make a pot of pinto beans and go from there.  Popular addition to charro beans are bacon, sausage, serrano, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chunks of ham, chorizo or pork.  If you want to cut back on your meat intake or are a vegetarian, they can easily be loaded with your fav veggie. I have made the veggie version twice by adding squash, carrots, onions, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, honestly the possibilities are endless. Add any leftovers in the fridge, or any meat from a previous meal.  Shall I share my version? with pleasure…Enjoy!

charro beans 011 1024x685 Charro Beans uncategorized texas products mexican

Charro Beans

by Sweetlife

Vianney Rodriguez

serves many

4-6 cups of beans, with broth (save extra broth in case the mix gets too thick)

1 medium onion, chopped

2-3 tomatoes, chopped

serrano pepper- I use 2-3, ( as suits your heat preference) sliced thinly

8- 10  slices of bacon, chopped

1 tbsp comino

jalapeno sausage(cooked), sliced

2 garlic cloves chopped

salt

pepper

cilantro, washed and thick stems removed-chopped

Heat a large pot, or dutch oven( you need  enough room for the beans) and add bacon.

Cook bacon until crisps and remove from pan, add sausage to the pan to slightly crisp and heat through.

Remove the sausage and add onions. Stir frequently to loosen the brown bits from the bacon.

Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and serranos and continue to stir to remove any left over bits, you want all that flavor in your beans.

Add the comino,garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Add your brothy beans and heat through.  Taste for seasoning and add salt or pepper if needed.

Add the cilantro just before serving, the cilantro will wilt quickly and it does not make for a great presentation.

+++I also want to share with you the products that I used in this recipe locally from Texas.

Hickory Smoked Bacon from Houston, Texas

Jalapeno Beef Smoked Sausage from San Antonio, Texas  Kiolbassa

Comments

how I do love cowboy beans, although refried pinto beans are my favorite….but alas my wife a northerner does not,….sigh..how I do miss Texas….the blue sky’s, bluebonnets and the beans!!

I can also live off of beans. Love the sound of this recipe but will omit the bacon and sausage and put in some additional green chiles and spices.

These look and sound delicious. I’ve never had them before and think I’ll give them a try this weekend. I loved the post just below this as well. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

I am a HUGE bean lover as well! There’s something about the texture that I find incredibly addicting. I definitely want to try this. So many good flavors. Although maybe I’ll hold out for the beer version. Hint hint.

I’ve never craved beans before. I think I am underestimating this humble bean. But with bacon and jalepano sausages in them, I’m sure I’ll be craving them too!

Bonnie, these charro beans sound absolutely delicious. I grew up in a home where all our meals consisted of beans, rice and maybe a piece of beef of chicken. You’re right. Pinto beans are the beans of choice here in Texas. I’ve never really gotten a taste of black beans. Great recipe. :)

Hi! This looks incredibly satisfying! I just finished up a tuna melt and am working on a nice, tart apple, but blah! I want this now!

– Lauren, Lauren’s Little Kitchen

now I don’t think it gets any finer than a big bowl of cowboy beans setting in front of me, well, maybe with a stack of cornpones and tall pitcher of sweet tea… this looks like a perfect way to cook ‘em, I think you know what you’re talking ’bout girl…..

I grew up in Houston, and I have been looking for a recipe to replicate the beans we use to eat at Mexican restaurants down there…I’m so excited! Thank you for sharing!

I can never get tired of charro beans either. YUM! WE eat beans all the time here. And I love your recipe–good thing I have a bag of pintos waiting to be cooked!

So comforting and delicious looking! What a wonderful combination! I’d love to taste that jalapeño sausage…

Cheers,

Rosa

Yeah! Charro Beans. I love these with or without meat-they are so good and wholesome too. Something like this would probably be on my last meals list too, Bonnie!
    Hope you guys are doing well. Stella

I would love to see a photo of the can or the beans dried. I will research this on google as I have not seen anything with the names you have given in our stores here in the dried bean or the canned bean sections. I love beans, too, as they are so easily influenced with flavour, digest so beautifully and are a responsible protein choice…. (but, don’t you get gas from eating so many of them? :) :) :) )
    Valerie
    ;)

I’m drooling here, it looks delicious, this dish looks a lot with something we have in Brazil. Jalapeno beef sausage sounds yummy.

Oh my gosh this recipe sounds and looks soo good, my mouth was watering as I was reading this post!! Hmm I’m wondering if I can find the jalapeno beef sausage or something similar in ON! Thanks so much for sharing!!! :)