Green Chile Chorizo

green chorizo 012 1024x685 Green Chile Chorizo texas products mexican breakfasts

Early mornings with a long day planned are perfect days to eat filling and satisfying tacos. My hubby loves hearty breakfast tacos on busy days, but I also want a lighter, healthier version. I whipped together a turkey chorizo, tinted green from poblanos, serrano, tomatillos and cilantro. Enjoy, Sweet Life

TEXAS SOURCE– Edinburg, Texas     Exquisita Whole what flour tortillas…..Exquisita

Have a wonderful weekend, I am off to Blanco, Texas for the Lavender Festival this weekend, I am excited about seeing the fields of lavender in their full glory.     green chorizo 013 1024x685 Green Chile Chorizo texas products mexican breakfasts

Green Chorizo

Vianney Rodriguez

serves 4

1 1/2 pds ground turkey

1 poblano

1 serrano

2 tomatillos

1 garlic clove

1 handful of cilantro, stems removed and lightly chopped

salt

pepper

2 tsp comino

2 tsp vinegar

Place poblano, serrano, tomatillos and garlic on roasting pan and roast under high temp until skins are blackened. You can also broiler, for quicker results, but watch carefully.

Remove blackened skin from poblano, rinse under cold water to remove seeds.

Add poblano, serrano, garlic, tomatillos and cilantro to food processor and grind until smooth add salt, pepper and comino and quickly pulse.

Here is where you want to taste for seasoning, before you add ground turkey.

Add turkey and vinegar and pulse until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Leaving the mix overnight is preferred giving time for flavors to enhance.

When ready heat pan, add small amount of oil, and add your chorizo to pan. Cook until fully cooked, then add your eggs.

Cook until eggs are set. Serve rolled in a tortilla, or omit eggs in mix and serve meat with sunny side eggs.

Comments

Nice! I spend a few winter months in mexico each year and I probably make this for breakfast 4 or 5 times a week, you can’t go wrong! I’ve never seen Comino before though, guess I’ll have to do a little research. : )

Yum! I teach high school and my Hispanic students are always talking about and eating these, but I’ve never actually searched out the recipe before. I ‘m so glad I found your blog!

First of all – what is comino? What does it taste like? Where can I buy it? And, if there are no fresh tomatillos – can I use canned?
    This looks like something I NEED to try!
    YUM!!!!!!
    valerie

These sound fabulous and I love that you made them with turkey. I’ll wager these are delicious. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Yum! I’ve had chorizo before but never made it…this looks like a great recipe! Also, I love that you wrapped your burrito in a paper towel…I do the same thing when I’m bringing one to school for lunch…it makes eating it so much easier!

How do you like the Exquitsita tortillas? I have to use the wheat ones from La Tortilla Factory, since it’s the only brand HEB sells, and they’re good but can get kind of gummy in the burrito size….

this looks like the perfect wrap, and it must be–spicy, meaty, flavorful, and filling, everything breakfast should be!
    enjoy those flowers!

I’ve never had a breakfast taco……
    but then again I’m never actually awake in the morning to make anything interesting for breakfast…haha This looks really yummy!

Ho-ly! Homemade chorizo.

Very nice idea to wrap your prepared tortilla in a napkin. It looks much less messy than when I’ve tried with toothpicks!

I have spent a lot of time in the Blanco/Wimberley area and have lots of great memories from the time my sister used to live there. I didn’t know lavender was grown there. Maybe you will come home with lavender for your pillow and for cooking.

Kathleen

Dear Bonnie – What a surprising recipe ….I love the way you made the chorizo from scratch right down to the overnight marination..wonderful to have handy…wonderful refreshing flavors too.

Fields of lavender! WOW! Have fun! Can’t wait to see the pics and read you posts :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

oh, man! This looks real good. I’d love to have this for breakfast.

The Lavender festival sounds really nice. Tell us more when you return. ;-)

Paz

Hi Bonnie,
    I’m so going to have to try making breakfast burritos at some point. You’re whippin’ ‘em up, so is Zibi… And they look so beautiful and healthy and delicious… :) Lately my breakfast has been consisting of plain yoghurt and steel cut oats with pb & j or nutella.. hahaha… but i can’t give up on Nutella just yet. Have fun with the Lavender :) xoxo

I prefer light dishes when it comes to the first meal of the day, as well. This is a great balance of rich, bold flavors, but light and healthy!

Turkey chorizo, poblanos, serrano, tomatillos and cilantro, sounds like an amazing combination. And looks lovely too. have a nice weekend.

Your burrito looks delicious! I like a smoothie for breakfast…I save the hearty stuff for dinner. Hope you have fun at the festival!

I’m starting to see a pattern here…are all our hubbies alike??? Hearty and tasty breafasts…as an added bonus…great women by their side. Great formula for fantastic relationships;o)
    Your recipe looks very flavourful.
    Now all we’re missing is a beach picnic;0)
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia