Melon con Crema de Mango

melon..mango 003 1024x766 Melon con Crema de Mango texas products sweet treats mexican breakfasts

Melons, Melons, Melons seems  the only remedy to the Texas heat.  We have juiced them, sliced them, made them into salad, had them for breakfast and continue to crave them.  This is the time to get in that last taste of summer juiciness, rejoice in the quenching sensation hoping to  tame this unbearable humidity. Texas plays by it’s own rules and August has brought us some intense heat that makes us look forward to cooler temps and lighter meals.  Some mornings a light breakfast is all that seems appetizing. The thought of  spending the day feeling trapped in a oven like atmosphere vehicle mixed with the traffic of back to school business easily makes me almost cry.  We reside on one of the two main streets that directly connects to the University and throw in to location several public schools I almost want to skip breakfast all together and drown any future plans of actually completing my errands with gallons of iced coffee spiked with espresso shots.  But being the level headed mother I am, really I am.  I push aside my fears to make a simple refreshing breakfast which can be made even easier if all is made the night before,  see I told you I was level headed.

melon..mango 014 685x1024 Melon con Crema de Mango texas products sweet treats mexican breakfasts

Cantaloupes are highly prized here in Texas, yup we love them as much as we love our watermelons, our peaches, our citrus, our brisket..okay we Texans love all our State offers. Moving on.  Our Texas soil helps to produce perfectly sun kissed cantaloupes that are enjoyed by everyone in the United States.  They are shipped mainly form the Rio Grande Valley and West Texas.    This summer having been our first in the Rio Grande Valley we have been enjoyed these beauties daily.  Another advantage of living so close to the border is the Mexican mangos, the large fleshy fruit that is sold by the case or  sprinkled with chili or simply cut “hedgehog style” at mercados.  It almost seems like trees sensed a heat filled summer and were kind enough to bless us with a superior fleshy crop to help us survive the heat.  Sync these two heavenly fruits together and treat yourself yourselves to a light breakfast or hey enjoy it for dessert, snack time, or better yet blend it together for a cool smoothie.  I give you Texas melons with Mexican mangos mixed with crema for a sweet Tex-Mex fusion.  I plant the inspiration you take the recipe and make your own, now c’mon let’s enjoy some cantaloupe.  Have a sweet week and I send you melon infused kisses. Sweet Life

melon..mango 019 685x1024 Melon con Crema de Mango texas products sweet treats mexican breakfasts

Melon Con Crema de Mango

serves 4

• 2 Texas Cantaloupes – sliced or cubed
  • 1 large Mexican mango – peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup crema mexicana
  • pinch of salt
  • agave – to your taste
  • garnish – pepitas

melon..mango 032 1024x685 e1318218286368 Melon con Crema de Mango texas products sweet treats mexican breakfasts

1. Taste your mango and you can get a sense of how much agave you would like to add.
  2. I only had to add a quick splash, the agave is only to add a touch of sweetness not to overpower the fruit.
  3. In a blender or food processor combine mango, 1/2 crema, salt and agave.
  4. Blend or process until smooth, if the mix it too thick add more crema by small amounts to slightly thin our the mix.
  5. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cool or overnight for next day.
  6. Place your sliced or diced melon on plate and drizzle your crema de mango.
  7. Garnish with pepitas.

love the crema..try fresas con crema click…here

Loving the Sweet Life? why not subscribe and never miss a Texas dish.

(oh and lastly all pictures and words are mine, yes mine, don’t be sleazy and steal work..it’s copyrighted, yup all mine…love ya! Sweet Life)

Comments

OMG! You DO know that I love mangoes, Right? I love this recipe. I LOVE all your recipes on this blog. I’m seriously thinking of moving to your home (yeah, uninvited). LOL! ;-)

Paz

Bonnie…here in Quebec we feel the same proud way about our cantaloupes…go figure…do I hear contest. LOL

I love how velvety smooth your mango sauce delight turned out.
    I can imagine this flowing on a multitude of desserts ;o)

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,

I used to live in Texas and enjoyed their strawberry season. We would go to Poteet for the annual Strawberry Festival.

I love the idea of blending mango with crema. Thank you for this inspiration.

Kathleen

Hey Bonnie! Good Morning…
    I’m just dropping back by to see your response about the crema. I feel like I’ve asked the question before.

Hmm, so it’s kind of tangy like creme fraiche? That sounds so good. I wonder if I’ve had it before. I used to work at a fine dining Mexican restaurant. Sounds like a weird concept, no? Yeah, the food was good, but the place went out of business. I guess people expect Mexican to be cheap…

Anyway, I’m going to go on a walk and see if I can spot a ripe mango on one of the trees around here. Oh, and tell Chuls that pumpkin pie is so easy to make. I think she’d love it too for both its ease and deliciousness.

Mucho Amor, Stella

I have to admit, I don’t like melon very much…but with this crema de mango it sounds delicious! I hope that you’re staying cool with all that heat!

ooooo, mangos, I truly adore. Summer is so awesome when I think of mangos, it’s great how you can be so near the source–fresh stuff! That smoothie looks so smooth and yummy…

You remind me of home in Malaysia….365 days hot and humid! We have lots of refreshing drinks and fruits to help cool down. Love mango. I have been enjoying lots of mangoes here….so delicious in smoothies…my latest craze…hehe :D

As a newly transported Texan, I’m struggling in this heat! I don’t know if anything sounds more delightful than this lovely melon and mango cream concoction. You know what we need down here!

• Vianneybonnie says

@Sommer, oh girl you should really try it, I have been dousing evey fruit with this sauce, yum
      sweetlife
      bonnie

just wonderful … the mango crema is a must try – how would it be with a little heat and over something like Chilaquiles or Sopes filled roasted sweet corn?

• Vianneybonnie says

@Drick…sopes, chilaquiles..I knew there was many reasons why I heart you so much!! roasted sweet corn and crema, divine!!
      bonnie

As usual, beautiful pictures/ presentation. As much as I love melons, I cant wait until honeycrisp apples are in season… I know they are just around the corner.

Honestly, this looks delicious! Yesterday, my husband and I were just talking about where to move someday and settled on either Arizona or Texas. :) Now about that heat…

Don’t cry, Bonnie! Well, I probably shouldn’t say that-I might cry too in that situation. I don’t do well in traffic accompanied by sweltering heat either…
    This melon treat looks so delicious though! I’ve never made a mango cream. It sounds so good. But what is ‘crema mexicana’? Is that the same as whipped cream?

• Vianneybonnie says

@Stella…Crema mexicana is kinda like a thinner creme fraiche, you could sub whipping cream, many people do. Crema is easy to drizzle and sour to the taste, it’s called table cream in meixco and used on tacos, tortas, any where you would a slight sour taste, you can also use this to thicken sauces or whipped. you ca find it in any mexican store I think they even have a crema from el salvador (never tried) I usually purchase the local brand. thanks for stopping by. HUGS!