Pomegranate Ancho Glaze

pom ancho glaze 019 645x1024 Pomegranate Ancho Glaze uncategorized spicy recipes mexican

Of all the chiles this wonderful world offers us culinary enthusiast my love my beloved poblano is at the top of my list.  I love the poblano in any of it’s glorious forms either roasted, filled, in rajas, pickled, charred..etc.  But dry this jewel of a poblano and you get nothing other than pure perfection, Chile Ancho.  Chile ancho is a rich burgundy, mild in flavor chile that when added to any dish offers a warming sensation that is quickly addictive.  Here in South Texas they sell them either by the pound or by the bag, but my friends the bags are HUGE,  I screamed in delight when I ran across them in my local grocery store.  Chuls quickly ran over thinking I had almost slipped only to find her mother hugging a enormous bag of dried ancho chiles.  After regaining my composure I placed my bags (yes, I purchased 5, a girls gotta be prepared ) carefully in my cart, finished my grocery shopping all while imagining my future meals of ancho delight filled goodness.

pom ancho glaze 015 1024x1005 Pomegranate Ancho Glaze uncategorized spicy recipes mexican

Quick tip- you can keep your chiles in the freezer, until ready to use

With Labor Day approaching what else would be better than a dark ruby red glaze or sauce, call it as you like, with my slices of brisket.  Ancho chiles simmered in pomegranate juice until reconstituted, then whizzed in the food processor with roasted garlic and onion.  Heat until reduced and enjoy, clearly another sure sign of the melding of two wonderful places, the Texas brisket and Mexican chile ancho.  Enjoy! May you have a wonderful Labor Day!!  Enjoy your family, friends and great meals.  Love Sweet Life.

pom ancho glaze 055 685x1024 Pomegranate Ancho Glaze uncategorized spicy recipes mexican

Pomegranate Ancho Glaze

2 dried ancho chiles

8 oz pomegranate juice

2 cloves garlic unpeeled

1 onion halved

salt

pepper

1 serrano (if desired)

In a small sauce pan heat juice and ancho chiles on medium heat until chiles reconstituted about 5-10 minutes.

Remove chiles and remove stem and seeds.

Place onion, garlic, onion, and serrano (if using) on a sheet pan and broil until charred, watch carefully so you do not burn garlic and serrano.

Place chiles, juice, onion, serrano and garlic  in a food processor and process until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to desired taste.

Return to sauce pan and heat on medium heat until mixture is reduced and begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.

pom ancho glaze 046 821x1024 Pomegranate Ancho Glaze uncategorized spicy recipes mexican

Shout out to Ryan from POM wonderful for sending my a great gift of POMjuice, when he emailed me I most politely agreed, warning him the juice might end up slathered on brisket.  He quickly answered that’s great, I’m born and raised in El Paso, Texas… awesome!

Loving the Sweet Life, hey subscribe and enjoy each recipe sent directly to your email…

Love this recipe, why not try Guava-Tequila Glaze

(oh and lastly all pictures and words are mine, yes mine, don’t be sleazy and steal work..it’s copyrighted, yup all mine…love ya! Sweet Life)

Comments

I LOVE the POM product and anything with pomegranate molasses is always licked clean by me. Ancho chillis as also one of my favorite… how could this go wrong – especially with YOUR gorgeous photos. They really are scrumptious. Thanks for sharing. This is a recipe, Miss Sweetlife, that I will absolutely be making.
    Valerie

I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled the next time I’m a the grocery store, your glaze looks and sounds delicious. I bet it livens up a brisket nicely :)

I love visiting your blog, Bonnie. I have a deep fascination for Mexican cuisine and the lack of decent Mexican eateries only propels my curiousity. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. If you released a cookbook I would buy it in a heartbeat.

4. rebekah says

that looks beautiful. i try to keep dried anchos on hand for tamales and chile colorado sauce but i haven’t tried it out in applications such as this one. it looks tasty!

Oh, you are so amusing ;] I wish that I could have seen you hugging that bag of chili ancho. I’m not one for huge spiciness, so this sounds very appetizing–an addictively warming aroma? What a nice introduction to chilies.

Bonnie…your dish looks lovely. For me personally, if it weren’t for all that ‘poblano’…I would say it was excellent. My tummy, unfortunately can no longer handle dishes with so much heat ;(

Have a fabulous week and flavourful wishes,

Bonnie! This is such a simple and healthful recipe, and I love the way the sauce looks so rich. I bet this would be great in combination with cashew cream over vegan enchiladas. Yeah!
    Hey, it’s funny you posted this. The other day I was at the store and saw a bag of these too. I knew people made sauces and stuff with them, but I had no idea how to do so too. Now I do! Thanks, Sweet Bonnie. Stella

My husband is going to be indebted to you. While I love chiles, I’m not a meat eater. He is though and this looks like a delicious combination. As always, your photos are fabulous.

This looks delicious!! I’m interested in using various chili peppers for cooking, but I feel I don’t have enough experience of cooking with them and also eating them, so I usually shy away from them. Chili ancho is one of the most interesting looking peppers, and I’d love to try this recipe!

YUM! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pomegranate chili glaze before, will you shoot me a note so we can talk more? :)

Part of my family grew up in New Mexico, so I’ve been trained on those chilis (the ones from Hatch), but I don’t know the variety, must find out. :)

I never realized that dried anchos were actually poblanos at heart! Cool beans.

Isn’t POM the best? I love the idea of a smoky sultry pomegranate glaze, which is what this must turn into once you mix POM and anchos. Delicious.

Only you can make meat look so appealing. Goodness this dish looked spectacular. I’ve ever tried these little jewels, but as a new Texan, I guess I’m going to have to find them. Thanks for sharing!