Fresh Corn Flan

girls corn flan 023 1024x685 Fresh Corn Flan side dishes mexican

Happy Monday my food lovers.  How was your weekend?  I have been plesantly absent from blogging these days , entirely due to the blessing of perfect Texas weather. A week of  humid free days, cooler temperatures and shades of fall surfacing in every corner. What’s a mom to do, but take time to enjoy these days in our local parks.  My girls wasted no time in packing their favorite books, soccer balls, picked in a cozy quilt and we were off to enjoy our time.  Oh please do not for one instance think I did not spend my time happily in the kitchen.  These are the days when a freezer becomes a gal’s best friend.  From our tiny little freezer tucked in the extra bedroom of our tiny apartment we pulled lasagna, enchiladas and soups. A quick reheat and dinner was served.   I did manage to sneak in a new recipe I would like to share.   Read on food friends…

On Friday after a quick review of Chuls  history we decided to make flan.  We took inspiration from a quote we read from Columbus.

On November 5 Columbus wrote in his journal

” There was a great deal of tilled land sowed with a sort of bean and a sort of grain they call ‘Mahiz,’ which tasted good baked or dried, and made into flour.”

A ecerpt from my daughter’s history book…..From Sea to Shining Sea, The History of America

girls corn flan 024 1024x685 Fresh Corn Flan side dishes mexican

A savory flan was perfect in celebrating our history review (I can find any tiny detail to celebrate food, no shame here).  Typically we make sweet flan consisting of an eggy custard with a carmel topping, but today our flan was served as a savory side.  Consisting of fresh corn from our freezer these flans came together quickly.  No fresh corn, feel free to use thawed frozen corn or mix it up using canned hominy.  Both will work fine in reaching a  savory batter to spoon into ramekins.  Top with a fresh salsa or in our case a quick dash of hot sauce and topped with roasted hominy.  Enjoy! Sweet Life!

Fresh Corn Flan

by 500 Mexican dishes

Judith Fertig

serves 8

• 4 cups fresh or frozen and thawed corn kernels
  • 1  1/2 cups half-and-half
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp. ground dried ancho or chipotle chile or bottled chipotle sauce
  • garnish with salsa or topping of your choice
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the insides of eight 6oz custard cups and place in a deep baking pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cups. Place the corn in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the half and half, eggs, salt, and ground ancho, and process until smooth.
  2. Divide the mixture among the prepared custard cups. Bake for 25 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Loosen the flans with a knife and invert onto serving plates. Serve with salsa or garnish as you like.

I would love to send out warm Texas hugs to all who continue to support my unorganized blog, I love you all and plan to visit everyone this week to drink in all your inspiring meals. Once again many thanks for your support as I try to work out a manageable schedule for my posts. Love Sweet Life.

Comments

I’d love to try this.

Glad you’ve been out enjoying the weather :)
    It’s chilly up here, starting to feel like winter, just no snow yet.

2. grace says

this is the first savory flan i’ve ever seen, and honestly, the idea of it never crossed my mind. how innovative and delicious of you. :)

What an absolutely delicious sounding recipe. I cannot wait to try it, sounds like a Texan original.

As to your crazy disorganized blog, I have no idea what your talking about, Everything you post is top rate, and if its not to a regular schedule, who’s noticing, we all know we have lives outside of blogging that can sometimes make keeping to a schedule difficult.

Good for you for enjoying the autumn weather. This is a perfect dish for our home and I’m thinking that it might be a great Thanksgiving addition. Bookmarking!

I LOVE this! This is quite the creative spin on the classic sweet flan. I’m not so keen on sweet things…and I adore corn-flavored things (though not the actual corn, strangely enough) so this is right up my alley! Perfect dish for lazy, relaxing days…

If only fresh corn season hadn’t come and gone so quickly… I can imagine this being turned into a sweet dessert pretty easily, too. I’ve got to remember that for next year.

I’ve only ever had a sweet flan too, but given my love of corn this sounds mighty tasty! I don’t blame you for enjoying the sweet weather – I remember in Tucson this was the best time of year.

Ok mondays will be lot more happier if greeted with that flan. My monday was back to work after long weekend and piles waiting for me. But glad you enjoyed your beautiful fall weather. Here nov finally kicked in with snow and wind.

I’m so glad you are out and about enjoying the lovely autumn season. We’ve been having a fairly decent one here as well. Your flan looks delicious! We have an extra fridge out in our garage for extra food. It really comes in handy. :)

I have never had a corn flan but it sounds heavenly especially with a side of lamb chops! Love that presentation too, very classy.
    Enjoy the Texas weather, it is the absolute best time of the year here!

I love that you guys are getting out and enjoying the weather! Way better than staying cooped up in the house.

These flans sound delicious! I love the sweet flavor of corn, especially in savory settings. Delicious.

You have to love when life gets in the way of blogging!

That dish looks amazing – although if I were to make it I’d definitely add some chopped jalapenos! My husband thinks I’ve already burned my tastebuds off after years of eating hot shit!

A corn flan! It looks so gorgeous! And sounds just excellent, I think it’s a very creative and delicious way to celebrate Columbus Day, I will have to make it with my daughter next year!

Hasn’t the weather just been lovely? This looks delicious, and I love how you infused it with Southwest flavors. I’ve never made flan before, and now I’m eager to give this creative rendition a try! You are just a doll!

This sounds so good, Bonnie! I can see it being really wonderful next to some garlic sauteed mushroom with either stewed beans or like a smoky steak. Yummerz! Ooh, and I love the idea of a savory flan-it works perfect with my new mostly sugar free diet (smile)…

I think it’s great that you’ve been enjoying the great outdoors with your girls. The computer can stand a little dust once and a while ;o)

I love the way your girls helped inspire this very interesting flan…seems quite appetizing.

Continue your relaxed time off…life is beautiful out there ;o)

Ciao for now,