Tortilla Snowflakes with Cajeta

Flour tortillas

Snowflake cookie cutter

cajeta snowflakes 056 1024x680 Tortilla Snowflakes with Cajeta sweet treats mexican christmas recipes baked goods

Lightly brushed with oil

Baked until crisp

cajeta snowflakes 051 1024x680 Tortilla Snowflakes with Cajeta sweet treats mexican christmas recipes baked goods

Dusted with cinnamon sugar

Allowed to cool

cajeta snowflakes 026 680x1024 Tortilla Snowflakes with Cajeta sweet treats mexican christmas recipes baked goods

Spread with cajeta

Sandwich together

Coffee or warm milk!  Enjoy!  Sweet Life!

Cajeta is a thick sweet sauce made from goat’s milk, the sweetened milk is boiled down until it reaches a deep caramel color.  Cajeta can also be sold flavored with vanilla, nuts, coconut or wine.  Drizzle it over ice cream, crepes, pancakes or use to sweeten your coffee.

———————

Cajeta Snowflakes

flour tortillas (cooked)

cookie cutters (snowflake)

canola oil

1/4 cup sugar

2 tsp cinnamon

cajeta

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Place tortillas on cutting board and cut into preferred shapes (snowflake).  You will need to cut two of each shape.  The bottoms are left whole, this is your base to spread the cajeta. Decorate top half as you desire.   Lightly brush the cut tortillas with canola oil and place on cookie sheet.  Bake until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Watch carefully as the smaller shapes (snowflake) will crisp quickly.

Combine sugar and cinnamon, set aside.  Remove from oven and dredge in cinnamon sugar while still warm.  Allow to cool.  Spread cajeta on bottom half of shape (snowflake) and sandwich together.

Comments

Dear Bonnie – Absoultely stunning photos :) You’ll tyhink I’m a hoot but just before you posted I was in bed tossing to go to sleep and thinking that I had not made cajeta in a lONG time….I make it for this rich chocolate tart with Ibarra chocolate that is to die for.

Thanks for reminding me that I really must get going :)

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

• Vianneybonnie says

@ Devaki…a cajeta tart, with ibarra chocolate……oh Devaki you must share this recipe!! lol..take care
      sweetlife

These tortilla snowflakes are so pretty! Do you use a regular cookie cutter to shape them? This sounds so delicious… especially with the cinnamon sugar. I’ve never heard of cajeta though – is it similar to dulce de leche?

• Vianneybonnie says

@Roxan Thanks for your comment, I cut mine with a snowflake shape cookie cutter and decorated the tops by using my piping tips, I punched little circles out..cajeta is smooth and creamy like dulce de leche, only thicker with a smoky back hint..you should give it a try I’m sure you would enjoy it!
      sweetlife

Absolutely adorable! Great idea!!! So I’m guessing the tortillas are cooked? I did something very similar but with the tortillas dough and shapes were not as easy to cut out. Next time I’ll use cooked tortillas ;)

• Vianneybonnie says

@Yvette…yes the tortillas are cooked, I should have mentioned this…lol yes they make for easier cutting..thanks for stopping by,

sweetlife

• Vianneybonnie says

@Claire…sopapillas are generally fried, but yeah you can say they have the similiar taste…(of course without the honey)have you ever tried mexican deep fried ice cream? this was my inspiration, lol take care
      sweetlife

Hey Bonnie! These are so pretty. I really need to get some holiday cookie cutters. Did you know the only cookie cutters I have are my star and the Texas shaped cutter you guys gave me (smile). Yeah, I at least need to get a snowman or something…though Cauldron Boy is going to love it when I get around to Texas shaped butter cookies;-)
    These are really beautiful by the way, and the cajeta makes them sound so rich and delicious. Que rico!
    p.s. Hope you guys have a relaxing week too and a very Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday. Yeah…

• Vianneybonnie says

@Stella…don’t fret stella..I only have cookie cutters becasue they are Chuls, for her 8th birthday her dad gifted her with a huge plastic bin with 100 cutters, we have used these ever since. Last week I had to stop by and buy my own Texas cutter, lol
      sweetlife

• Vianneybonnie says

@Sanjeeta…you could use dulce de leche or feel free to use any of your favorite flavor..peanut butter, cream cheese, jelly….

sweetlife

These are so beautiful, and so simple to make! Now I need to find a snowflake cookie cutter. I will add that to my US shopping list for my annual trip north next year. I would use whole wheat tortillas — yours appear dark enough to perhaps be whole wheat. Thank you for a great holiday idea.

Happy holidays!

Kathleen

• Vianneybonnie says

@Kathleen..yes whole wheat would be a great idea! Mine are fairly dark, I left them a bit too long in the oven!
      sweetlife

What an amazing idea! We only have the nasty mass-produced shelf-stable tortillas in out grocery store, but I’m sure that baked and dusted with sugar and caramel, nobody would notice.

I love this, thank you!!

These are wonderful! We have been meaning to pick up some tortillas from our favorite Mexican restaurant. I’m eager to give this delightful sweet dessert a try! Thank you for sharing such great treats with me day after day. I hope your week is full of love, joy and good food!