Roasted Poblano Gordita Burger

Really is this any way to begin a new year?  At this moment thousands of people are beginning to put their new resolutions into action.  Configuring their new work out routines, planning  healthier meals , taking life by the horns and I bring you this.

A patty Stuffed between a gordita.

Yes, I know it’s kinda backwards, I should have posted a wonderfully light salad.  Or a great protein packed breakfast idea.  What’s wrong with me?  Well I have decided no resolutions this year.

None at all.  Nada.  Nothing.  Zilch.

roasted poblano gordita burger 005 680x1024 Roasted Poblano Gordita Burger spicy recipes sandwiches mexican dinners celebrity chefs

I’m happy, I love my life, my family, my days, my rituals, my time spent here.  So why add the extra stress?  I think most of us by nature are always working at having our best life.   I know I am.

So for the first recipe of the new year I happily bring you a roasted poblano gordita burger.  Roasted poblanos are added to ground beef, seasoned and grilled.

Gorditas are sliced in half, topped with a warm patty, simply add sliced avocado and pickled onions.

I send you best wishes for the new year, lots of love and may your life be a full as my gordita!

Enjoy! Sweet Life

Gorditas  can be made from fresh corn masa or  masa harina, the dough is shaped into rounds and  cooked on a hot griddle until it puffs up, which enables you to slice it open and fill it up.  Latino stores offer frozen shaped gorditas ready to cook, they are sold by the bag, stacked between parchment paper.

roasted poblano gordita burger 025 680x1024 Roasted Poblano Gordita Burger spicy recipes sandwiches mexican dinners celebrity chefs

Roasted Poblano Gordita Burger

serves 4

• 1 1/2 ground beef
  • 1 poblano chile
  • salt
  • pepper
  • vegetable oil
  • 4 gorditas – sliced in half
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • fresh lime juice
  1. Place poblano on a baking sheet. Roast under broiler until charred on all side, about 5 minutes.
  2. Place charred poblano in bowl covered with plastic wrap for about 15 minutes.
  3. After 15 minutes remove charred skin, stem and seeds from the poblano.  Slice into strips and return to bowl.
  4. Add ground beef to poblano strips and mix.
  5. Heat your griddle over medium-high heat.
  6. Shape your patties using your gorditas as guide.
  7. Season with salt and pepper.
  8. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a napkin and wipe over griddle.
  9. Place burgers on griddle and cook 3 minutes, flip and cook for another 4 minutes.
  10. Add the lime juice to the avocado slices.
  11. Place each burger between the gordita, add avocado and pickled onions.

—————————

Pickled Red Onions
by Rick Bayless
makes 1 cup

• 1 small red onion- peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice  (I have also used lemon- works fine)
  • salt
  1. In a non-reactive bowl add thinly sliced onions and pour boiling water over them.
  2. Count to ten and immediately put the onions into a strainer.
  3. Shake all the excess water off the onions and place back into bowl.
  4. Pour lime juice over them and stir in 1 1/2 tsp salt.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
  6. These will last a week or more in the fridge.

——————-

Gorditas

by Mexico Cooks

• 4 cups masa harina
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups hot but not boiling water
  1. Place the masa harina and salt in a large bowl. Add the water and mix with your hands to make dough that comes together in a soft ball.
  2. Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is elastic enough to hold together without cracking, about 3 minutes.
  3. If you’re making the dough ahead for later use, wrap the whole ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Divide as needed.
  4. Make a ball of masa a little larger than a tennis ball.  Flatten it to about a five-inch round.
  5. Heat enough lard or oil in the wok or large, deep frying pan to fry two or three gorditas at a time.
  6. Slide the gorditas into the fat and allow them to fry until deep golden brown.
  7. Remove the gorditas from the fat with the strainer and then keep them hot on the comal or griddle. Drain on paper towels if needed.
  8. To serve, split each gordita in half approximately one-third of the way from one edge of the disk. Open a flap of the gordita and place on a plate. Top with either salsa verde or salsa roja, shredded cabbage or lettuce, the cilantro, the diced onion, and crumbled cheese.

Comments

Oh. My. God.
    This is incredible! It is now my new year’s resolution to make this and make it often! (the wrap has GOT to have fewer calories than a bun, right? :) ) – The addition of the avodado is great, too – all in all, looks delicious! Stumbled! Tweeted! Hope you have a great New Year!

Before that Taco Bell ad campaign with that chihuahua way back in the mid-’90′s ( I think I just dated myself here), I had never heard of gorditas. Love the gordita burger! I saw Arrowhead Mills masa harina at the supermarket so I will taking home a bag with me. I’m bookmarking this!

I don’t make that much new year’s resolutions, but I made a year’s end resolution to post at least once a week instead of once a month as I’ve been doing.

I don’t, however, make any resolutions regarding my eating habits. I have this rule that I’ve been imposing on myself for a year now that I call my “Triple ‘S’ (SSS) Program” —> Sweets only on Saturday’s and Sundays (SSS), from Mon-Fri, it’s all real, natural, unprocessed food consumed in moderation. This has worked quite well for me. Of course, I made exceptions during the holidays. : )

Happy New Year!

KM

First, WHAT BEAUTIFUL photography. Second, thank you SO much for including ALL of the recipes. When I laid my eyes on the onions, I thought – something has been done to those – I have to try it! And, when you wrote about the gorditas and how to find them in a store and what they looked like – I thought – DARN… and then, there is all was!
    You have started the new year with a BANG!!!
    And, I want to add something.
    Your comment about reading most of the events I experienced through 2010 on my site deeply touched me. I know I have many “regulars” – but, no one has said it – and how you did, though simply, deeply touched me. It made me realize some members of my own family and my closest friends don’t read my posts… yet, others do. You do. And the relationships we develop through these like-minded sharings and learning experiences are so important to me. They do truly enrich my life. So, thank you and BIG HUG!
    Valerie

Oh! This burger looks delicious…I absolutely love burger loaded with yummie stuff, and this is a winner :-) Love the idea of using gorditas. Happy New Year Bonnie!

I failed my new years resolution on the first day. So, I like your reasoning for your life: you are happy, no need for change right now :]

And that is a good looking burger. I have never heard of gorditas before now, oo, puff up eh?

I’ve not seen gorditas sold at the grocery store. I’ll have to hunt them down. I love this burger! I agree with YayaOrchid. This burger looks like a terrific choice for a healthy meal.

I love it! I agree that most of us are already working towards our best lives. This is a process that I undergo all year long. And I think there is no way better to start the New Year than with some delicious food. I love gorditas, and this looks amazing. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a happy Tuesday!

8. Martha says

OMG! This gordita burger is so mouthwatering, I wish I can have one right now!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment. I like your blog and will visit you often. Happy new year!

9. Stephanie says

This looks great! And I agree with the comment above, it doesn’t seem that unhealthy. Seems like a happy way to start 2011 and I love your attitude about your life. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right? Happy New Year!

Bonnie, I love this idea. I’ve got some Hatch chilies that I roasted, chopped and put in the freezer back in late September. I think I will use those in some ground turkey and go from there. Never have made gorditas before and this seems like a perfect time to give them a go. Thanks so much!

I see nothing unhealthy about your gordita. For one, it’s not fried in oil, plus all your ingredients are fresh and good for you!

I have never liked making resolutions. But this year I do have some basic goals to eat healthier and walk more. No pressure there, LOL!

Wishing you a wonderful year of blogging in the days to come!

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

Awe, Bonnie! So glad that you didn’t feel any need to change anything or make something better. That’s nice to hear someone say that!
    Oh, and what are trying to do to me (smile)?! I used to love hamburgers. I don’t eat them now, but I can tell you know how it’s done. Yummerz!
    Hope you guys keep up the healthy happiness in 2011:)
    Your Friend,
    Stella

I like your list of resolutions… they all resemble mine for the past many years – I also like (love) this burger…. what a way to kick in the New Year!!!

Well, I have to tell you I think this is refreshing. I have to admit I don’t look forward to all the healthy eating articles at the first of the year. I subscribe to the 80/20 rule. Eat healthy 80% of the time and splurge the other 20…all year. I’m loving this burger because I just made pickled onions to suit me and have a jar in the fridge. I love them and was wondering what to do with them next. This is a great recipe! Happy New Year.

This is the perfect recipe to start off the new year ~ Girl I’m with you, NO resolutions, I just want to live life to the fullest and this gordita will help me on my way ~ Happy new year chica!