Creamy Orange Ice Cream

orange ice cream 036 1024x632 Creamy Orange Ice Cream   ice cream sweet treats

I can clearly remember hating Valentine’s Day.

I was bitter.

I had no boyfriend, no dates, no weekend plans, and no social life.

I was bitter.

What I did have was work.  I was working two jobs and miserably trying not to fail my current semester in college.  Deep down I knew this was the reason I had no social life, but would never admit it.

I continued to be bitter.

A lot has changed in the last 12 years.  I am madly in love with my husband.  I have the privilege of raising two wonderful daughters.  I am surrounded with family and friends who love me.

No more bitterness.

So how does oranges fit into my current ramble?

It all boils down to ice cream.  Over the last 12 years I have made this ice cream hundreds of times, using bitter oranges.  The sour tang from the orange combined with cream and chocolate present a delight of a combination, but this year I decided to put aside everything bitter.  I replaced the bitter with the sweet.  Sweet segments of oranges are blended with cream and sugar until smooth.  Trasfer to your ice cream machine and presto..done.

orange ice cream 024 1024x778 Creamy Orange Ice Cream   ice cream sweet treats

The chocolate letters add a splash of fun, don’t you think?  We love personalizing our treats, simply melt your chocolate and add to a piping bag.  Pipe your letters on parchment paper, allow to cool and carfeully peel.

Add alongside or scoop your ice cream on top for that layered look.  (My ice cream is molded, a small layer of grapefruit sherbet from an earlier post is below my orange ice cream.)

orange ice cream 038 1024x992 Creamy Orange Ice Cream   ice cream sweet treats

Happy Valentine’s Day to all my family, friends and those of you visiting for the first time.

May you be showered with kisses, hugs and affection.  Let us leave all our bitterness for the citrus, shall we?

Let’s treasure what we have, enjoy our life and celebrate with ice cream! Lots of love ..Sweet Life! Enjoy!

orange ice cream 044 1024x685 Creamy Orange Ice Cream   ice cream sweet treats

Orange Ice Cream

By Sweet Life

By Vianney Rodriguez

make 2 pints

2 cups orange segments

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup heavy cream

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp orange zest

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions (your model)

Scoop ice cream into freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.

If you haven’t had the chance please do not forget to enter my giveaway!! A chance to Taste Texas! Click here.

Comments

Personalize away…I LOVE your very unique style.

Thanks for sharing your warmth through the chilled ice-cream ;o)

BIG hug my friend and flavourful wishes,

Smile. I was bitter for a few years too. But now…I couldn’t be more smitten with this February holiday. Your ice cream and chocolate letters look perfect. So adorable! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. Take time to love yourself and those that are dearest to your heart!

Glad you’re not bitter any more! I’m not, though I’m single! I celebrate S.A.D == Singles Awareness Day! :) This ice cream is so perfect and I love the Love letters! Nice to have found your blog!

I can’t imagine someone as sweet as you being bitter, Bonnie! I believe you though. I used to be an angry teenager, so I am fully aware that things change;-) Ooh, and this ice cream sounds so wonderful! I really need to get an ice cream maker, so that I can do stuff like this. Oranges and cream sounds so rich and refreshing right now.
    p.s. Your letters are really cute. I like the way the ‘V’ is falling in one of the photos.

I love the BITTERNESS of lovelessness combined with your BITTER orange ice cream, Bonnie. But moreover, that you are now MADLY in love with your husband and are raising two lovely daughters. Life brings such change. I can remember that bitter. For me it was more sorrow. And I am sure, there will be many many many valiant single women this weekend, and on Monday saturated in those feelings. My heart goes out to them. I understand. I didn’t think I would ever find a man – as I was divorced with two lovely daughers – and didn’t even date for 8 years I was so busy raising them from birth to 8 and 10 years old. Then I dated. Then I found me. And satisfaction. And happiness, fulfillment and a knowing that I no longer needed anyone to be fulfilled. That took – hmmm – a few years. I met Vanja when that girls were 17 and 19. I didn’t expect to, and he is the miracle in all of our lives. They are now 30 and 32.
    I will definitely be making your ice cream. I love homemade ice creams. And, I will definitely be thinking of the loves in my life when I savour that bitter orange.
    Happy Heart Day!!!
    Valerie

Haha… I could’ve sworn you were sort of talking about me-no bf and no social life because of work! I’m not bitter though, I’m glad to be getting work.

Love orange and chocolate together, unbeatable combination! And, love your blog’s new look.

Happy Vday!

KM

I’m right there with you….I couldn’t do a chocolate and sprinkles post. I wanted ice cream…I did lemon but your orange sure looks yummy too! Gonna try this next weekend! Thanks for posting.