Enfrijoladas

enfrijoladas 011 1024x708 Enfrijoladas mexican dinners

Warm tortillas dipped into a creamy bean sauce, topped with a spicy salsa and a sprinkle of cheese.  A quick dinner idea, perfect for a crowd  with the added bonus of affordability.

Who could offer this much, none other than my beloved beans.  My workhorse in the kitchen, easily adaptable and always reliable.  I have said this often, I make a pot of beans each week to serve alongside my eggs in the morning, ladled warm into a bowl topped with cheese as a quick lunch or refried and stuffed into a poblano for dinner.

enfrijoladas 034 1024x685 Enfrijoladas mexican dinners

Serve these enfrijoladas on small plates as an appetizer, lightly mount them on a plate for lunch or feed a crowd for dinner.  Make these your own by switching to black beans or fill them with chicken maybe carne asada, top them Texas style with chile con carne, simply Enjoy them! Sweet Life!

enfrijoladas 012 1024x685 Enfrijoladas mexican dinners

Enfrijoladas

serves 8

4 cups of cooked beans (frijoles de olla)

2 cups bean broth or water

1 onion, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 tbsp olive oil

16 corn tortillas

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute, stirring not to allow the garlic to burn.  Add beans, bean broth or water and simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.  In small batches add your bean mix to a blender.  With a kitchen towel held over the lid (to prevent the steam for burning) blend until smooth.  Warm the tortillas on the comal.  Dip each tortilla in the bean mixture and fold over on the plate.  Garnish with toppings of your choice.

~~~~~~~

garnish with either:

sliced avocado

salsa

tomato

queso fresco

crema mexicana

cilantro

Comments

I saw these on the menu at my fave food truck at the farmers market today. I got fava bean soup instead. Now, you have me salivating for enfrijoladas instead. ;)

Hi Bonnie Vianney – you make this simple inexpensive dish look so elegant. Kudos to you. Wish we had this for dinner tonight! Love your ringed dinnerware! Gorgeous!
    LL
    P.S. I cooked another dish from our Charlie Trotter book! Great results…

My Bonnie! Oh my Gosh, this is genius! And you know what? I made some frijoles de olla using your directions. I used a different bean but with your directions-so delicious. I bet these warm dipped tortillas are so good with cheese and herbs. I’m doing next time I make a pot, which will be this week by the way. Yum!
    XOXO

• Vianneybonnie says

@Stella
      Hello chica, I have missed your posts!! you made frijoles, ahh your always so supportive..I am so glad you enjoyed them…love ya amiga!!

sweetlife

Fantastic…another way I could use the bean broth that gets extracted weekly when I make my pot of beans. Quite frankly, after my plants got their last watering and I’m way over in soup making volumes…this is a welcomed idea ;o)

Have a great week Bonnie.
    Ciao for now,

Easy, fresh, delicious, nutritious, economical – not all ingredients available here -but enough. YUMMMM. Will definitely make this. Make something very similar already, but will try this twist on an old fav.
    valerie

• Vianneybonnie says

@Valerie..something similar..please share , lol anything that comes from your kitchen is amazing!!
      sweetlife

How I wish I had this plate in front of me right now with an egg over-easy. It sounds tons yummier than my cactus smoothie I’m drinking for breakfast. LOL!

• Vianneybonnie says

@ Yvette…the cactus smoothie is a hit around my house, but yes with a egg on top..too good!!

sweetlife

Beans are my work horse in the kitchen, too. I absolutely love ‘em, any way they’re made. Thanks for reminding me how easy & great this is! Can’t wait to make it again soon :)

8. Vianneybonnie says

@Krista,
    Thanks for stopping by..I make a weekly pot of frijoles de olla, I added the link on the recipe if you would like to try the frijoles de olla. take care

sweetlife

oh man, I like any way you make them, could eat these all week long… and you make a pot of beans sound like kitchen magic – have a blessed week

Those look wonderful! I’m such a bean fiend myself. :-) I’ve got some refried for my lunch today and can’t wait to dig into them. :-) What sort of beans to you make for your weekly pot? That’s such a good idea. :-)

I could eat enfrijoladas every day. I especially like them topped with salsa verde. The tang of tomatillos provides a nice counterpoint to the richness of the egg yolks and queso. Many non-Mexicanas do not know about enfrijoladas, but I hope more discover this great breakfast dish.

Kathleen