Spicy Chipotle Beef

spicy chipotle beef 015 685x1024 Spicy Chipotle Beef mexican dinners celebrity chefs

It’s funny when life spins into busy mode I somehow seem to get more accomplished.  Is it that I plan, prepare or pray more?  No.  I simply refuse to have my day taken from me.  I dislike the idea of being so busy, that I am deprived of “my moments.”

A few minutes to cuddle with my little one, slowly sipping my extra cup of coffee in the early morning or enjoying breakfast with mi amor before our busy day begins.

spicy chipotle beef 018 1024x685 Spicy Chipotle Beef mexican dinners celebrity chefs

I also refuse to give into the idea of a brown bagged, drive thru dinner.  A soothing meal quickly revives the soul, reboots the body and gently encourages our next day.  I ripped this recipe out of my sister’s Prevention magazine in 2009 as a potential dinner idea.  The idea since then has become a house regular. Enjoy your “moments!”

spicy chipotle beef 010 1024x685 Spicy Chipotle Beef mexican dinners celebrity chefs

Sirloin and mushroom swin in a rich sauce of beer, tomatoes and chipotle peppers.  The recipe calls for either beer or broth, I suggest using the beer.  Grab a cold one from your fridge and add it your pot.  The peppers add a smoky backdrop given the mushrooms even more of a earthy punch.

Spicy Chipotle Beef

by Rick Bayless for Prevention Magazine

September 2009

• 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
  • 1 lb beef tenderloin strip, or sirloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 lg white onion, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup dark beer, broth or water
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounce) no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
  • 12 oz shiitake, oyster, or other mushrooms, or a combo, stemmed and sliced 1/4 thick
  • 2 canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro

1. heat oil in a dutch oven over high heat. when hot add beef in uncrowded single layer. cook stirring frequently to brown all sides, until almost at desired doneness (about 4 minutes for medium-rare). remove to plate, leaving oil behind.

2. return pan to medium high heat. add onion. cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 7 minutes. add garlic and stir 1 minute. add beer and Worcestershire. add tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, and salt to cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up bits stuck on bottom of pan, until mushrooms are done and liquid is reduced to a sauce, about 10 minutes.

3. season with salt, if desired. return meat to pan and heat. serve sprinkled with cilantro.

Need more comfort? Why not try these soothing plates…

Baked Chicken with Beans and Tomatoes

Pepita Crusted Tilapia with Tomatillo Cream Sauce and Cilantro Potatoes

Enfrijoladas

Comments

Your spicy chipotle beef sounds amazing!
    Cookin’ Canuck and I are in week 3 of Get Grillin’ and would love to have you join us. Please link up to 3 entree recipes including this dish. Doing so will qualify you to enter our Ild De France Cheese giveaway. It’s also a way to share your amazing recipes with all of us. http://su.pr/17fizq

Must try! Will go great with all your drinks. (Ok, fine. I’ll just choose ONE type of drink.) And you’re right, those moments *are* key!

now this is right up our alley- in fact its like your took our tastebuds and made this just for me and my family. It looks killer good girl! I love the idea of using the chipotle on beef. honestly I always do chicken. A must try indeed

Bonnie…I’m back and already I got distracted by your sidebar with the Mango Margarita. I could feel the vacation spirit in you as you were describing it. Mangos are in my top five favs…mummm. I think it’s time to put me on vacation this coming weekend. LOL

Now for the beef fiesta going on in this wonderfully photographed dish…looks incredibly appetizing even to me who eats beef maybe 2-3 times a year…oh my…got to remedy that ;)

Hope all is well ‘a la casa de Bonnie’. Your joyous spirit always shines through. Thank you for being you ;o)

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,

It’s so true: I think the people who have the busiest lives actually get more done than those with idle time on their hands. I think it’s because they view time as more precious, so they make each minute count. ;)

Mmm, after working for a while, we quickly show that we are creatures of habit. Wake up-go to work-come home-repeat. This really tires me out, so I’d like to try out what you did—and simply refuse to give up my time ;] Perhaps end up reading, cooking, or talking to these peeps here. That dish looks really comforting!

Must make this soon. Kudos to you for banning the drive through! I’m a strict believer that if it comes through a window, I don’t want to eat it!

I am definitely so much more productive the busier I am! It’s weird.

This chipotle beef stew looks delicious! So chock full of flavor.