Blackberry Peach Ice Cream

blackberry peach ice cream 008 685x1024 Blackberry Peach Ice Cream sweet treats

Summer has officially arrived!   As our time here in Edinburg, Texas begins to dwindle down, I realized this will be our last summer in the Rio Grande Valley.  I plan to make this summer one of  girls’ best before we begin the chore of packing to move home.

Our days so far have included tennis lessons, play dates,  mid day movies,  tea parties and lazy reading at the park.   The cooler evenings draw us into the in the kitchen to “play”  as my girls’  phrase it.

Chuls and I tag team to help  Pips, my 6 yr old,  become confident in her knife skills.  We attempt to keep her focused on her cutting board project but, she’d rather focus on sneaking handfuls of berries any chance she gets.

Oh well, shall we talk ice cream.

blackberry peach ice cream 011 582x1024 Blackberry Peach Ice Cream sweet treats

Summer and ice cream go hand in hand, but blackberries and peaches shine when added to a creamy base for ice cream.   Blackberries are soaked in lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar helping to coax every ounce of sweetness.   The creamy base  consisting of milk, eggs and cream can be the blank canvas to any fruit combination.   Try strawberries, blueberries or even cherries.  Remember a recipe is simply an outline for you to add your personal touch.  My girls’ enjoyed this bright ice cream in a cone, but mom went with a glass (more room, more scoops).  Enjoy! Sweet Life, Chuls and Pips!

blackberry peach ice cream 010 685x1024 Blackberry Peach Ice Cream sweet treats

Blackberry Peach Ice Cream

serve 6

• 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 2 1/2 cups blackberries, fresh
  • 4 medium peaches, pitted and diced
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  1. In a medium bowl add blackberries, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon zest and juice. Refrigerate for 2 hours to allow flavors to combine.
  2. Place milk in a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
  3. In a large mixing  bowl whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and 3/4 cup sugar.
  4. Slowly add 1/4 cup of the warm milk into egg mixture, strain if   then whisk egg mixture into remaining milk.
  5. Continue to cook over medium heat.  Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture coats the back of the spoon, about 15 minutes.
  6. Return thicken mixture back to large mixing bowl, stir in the heavy cream and refrigerate until cold.
  7. Combine cream mixture with blackberries and pour into an ice cream maker.  Process according to manufacturer’s directions.  When ice cream is almost set add diced peaches.
  8. Remove from ice cream machine and place in a freezer safe container.  Freeze, until ready to serve.

Need more Ice Cream?  You know you do…

Lemon Avocado Sherbet

Grapefruit Buttermilk Sherbet

Creamy Orange Ice Cream

Lime Ice Cream

Comments

Those pictures are gorgeous and the ice cream sounds delicious but really, I got most distracted by your daughters’ names: Chuls and Pips. Goodness, that’s cute ;]

You really are living summer up to its fullest potential! I mean, I think we can all agree that the two best parts of summer are the fruits and the ice cream abundance…and now you’ve gone and combined the two! Delicious!

Your girls are so lucky that you “play” with them in the kitchen! Oh the fun you must have! :) This ice cream looks fabulous!! Blackberries and peaches sound great together, and with the lemon juice and lemon zest, it sounds even better! I’d love a scoop or two! It really looks so creamy and pretty! :)

I’d be certainly focused on the berries…as well as having you invite me over for this delicious treat…in a glass of course ;o)

The pairing is perfection.

Have a great weekend Bonnie and flavourful wishes.
    Ciao for now, Claudia

5. angela says

my parents spend their winter in the Rio Grande Valley (Weslaco). I love visiting for 2 weeks almost every year, since there aren’t any palm trees in Calgary, AB and its usually -30C in February here. Ice Cream looks yummy!

Hey Angela!!
    Thanks for stopping by. We love Weslaco one our fav spots and the eats are great!! Winter Texans really make the Rio Grande shine!
    bonnie
    sweetlife

Ay, Dios Mio!!!!

I just told my daughter yesterday that we were heading to the Farmer’s Market this week to buy peaches and now, I will run there!

There is absolutely nothing like homemade ice cream. Nothing, nothing, nothing!

Have a great day!

Oh my, this looks delicious!!

PS my whole family was raised in the Valle. I havent been there since I was 12, but I have such great memories there. Lots of BBQ and great summers there!

Bonnie, you really are a fruity lady. I am intrigued by your way of transforming fruits into decadent dishes. I might have to come and kidnap you so I can try all your recipe :)

Awesome! Oh yeah! So glad you posted this. I am in full ice cream mode lately. Just made my famous old fashioned peach ice cream but next time I would love to try yours- the blackberries in it sound fantastic!

Summer is here indeed…and it is hot! I love the thought of a big bowl of this ice cream. Thank you for sharing this glimpse into your delicious world. It made me smile…also hungry! I hope you are having a beautiful Wednesday. Love from Austin!