Empanadas de Fresa
|July 19, 2011||Posted by Vianney under Baked Goods, Sweet Treats|
This recipe was featured on Spanglish Baby. Sending warm hugs to all who stopped by to shower my Chuls with love.
By Sweet Life
By Angelica Rodriguez with Vianney Rodriguez
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus a little more for rolling dough
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp piloncillo, grated with zester
- 2 sticks of butter, diced and chilled in freezer until needed
- ¾ milk, chilled and divided
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- For egg wash:
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp of milk
Prepare filling (can be made the day before)
- Over medium high heat in a medium saucepan add strawberries, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cook until brown sugar dissolves and strawberries become thickened about 15 minutes.
- Move filling to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Add the flour, salt and piloncillo into a food processor, pulse twice to combine.
- Add butter, cover and pulse eight or nine times until butter and flour combine to the crumbly texture.
- Add the ¼ cup of milk and pulse twice. Continue to add milk and pulse until dough comes together.
- If the dough does not combine continue to add milk. Remove dough and knead into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- On a large work surface and lightly dust with flour.
- Roll dough and cut into 4 inch circles.
- If working on a small surface cut dough in half. Roll into a smaller rectangle and cut your circles.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of filling in center of circle.
- Brush one edge lightly with water and fold the dough over.
- Using a fork seal edges, transfer to ungreased baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake 15 minutes.
© 2011 – 2012, Sweet Life. All rights reserved. Please contact us to request written approval for reproduction of images and recipes.