Agua de Pepino

agua de pepino 002 685x1024 Agua de Pepino beverages

Cucumbers Cucumbers Cucumbers

Cucumbers are the spotlight for this edition of Summer Fest.   Cucumbers are refreshing, don’t you think?  I absolutely love having them on hand as remaining “cool as a cucumber”  during a  Texas summer is always a priority.

One of my childhood favorite summer treats was thick slices of cucumber splashed with lime and sprinkled with salt.   Now as a busy mom I still crave those flavors, but need to enjoy it on the go.  So I turn to  aguas frescas (fresh waters).

A to go cup brimming with a refreshing  water, makes for my day of errands a little less stressful.  Aguas are widely popular in Mexico and here in Edinburg, Texas they have also found a home.  Sold in many places from restaurants to convenient stores, aguas can be found everywhere.

I prefer to make mine at home, as I do not enjoy the watered down versions.  Loaded with cucmbers, lime, salt and a drizzle of agave this glass of goregous is a great way to stay cool this summer. Enjoy!

agua de pepino 013 685x1024 Agua de Pepino beverages

We’re teaming up with food and garden bloggers to host Summer Fest 2011, a season-long garden party. In coming weeks, we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. Today, we’re exploring peaches!

from the FNDISH.

summer fest logo 4001 Agua de Pepino beverages

Join in: What’s your favorite way to eat cucumbers?

Join the conversation on twitter at   #cookingwith.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agua de Pepino

serves 4

4 large cucumbers peeled,seeded and diced

1 tsp salt

2 limes

4 -6 tsp agave

2 cups of water

ice

In juicer or blender add cucumbers, salt, lime juice, agave and 1 cup of water.

Blend until smooth.

Add juice to a pitcher with remaining 1 cup of water.

Taste for seasoning.

Serve over ice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

You wouldn’t believe how many cucumbers I have in my fridge in need of being used. you also wouldn’t believe how dehydrated I constantly am. Ideal solution? This beverage. Yum.

Congrats on being a part of New Latina!!!

This does look refreshing—cucumbers with limes and a bit of salt, eh? Truth be told, that sound odd to me, but I like eating watermelons and strawberries with a sprinkle of salt—so I’m a good one to try those flavour combos ;]

I wanted to leave the comment on your newest post, but the comment was closed, so I’m leaving my comment here. Congratulations on your feature on New Latina!! This is AWESOME!!! Congrats! The website looks like it has a lot of traffic. I’m so happy for you and your blog! ;-) Now this one looks very summery and refreshing!

I swear, that is one of my fave things about treating myself to a rare spa day — the cucumber water. Yes, the massage or facial sure is nice, too. But there’s just something so wonderful about sitting something that tastes like pure relaxation in a glass.

My thought was another margarita but as it turns out no alcohol involved I might remain sober for while with this refreshing drink.

LOL, it would make for a fab margarita..

Oh, Agua de Pepino is something I’ve never made before…for some reason I never think of it at the right time (like when I have cucumbers). But I just know it is super refreshing…I do love a few slices of cuke in my water, so… :)