The Thanksgiving countdown has begun!! Are you excited? I know I am. Thanksgiving after all is a day dedicate to stuffing your face with glorious food. Countless hours chopping, dicing, basting, baking and prepping. Now that’s what I call a good time! This week in my attempt to bake the perfect pumpkin empanadas I was left with plenty of pumpkin puree.
That’s when it hit me. My Thanksgiving table needs a great margarita, a pumpkin margarita. Why should the empanadas, pies and muffins get all that great pumpkin flavor. Pumpkin Margaritas.
Cooking for the big day just got alot less hectic with this margarita by my side. Enjoy!
Pumpkin puree is very easy to make, but I know sometimes life is busy. If your schedule permits, please try making your own puree or if your in a pinch feel free to use canned pumpkin puree.
Now let’s talk salt rim. I wanted festive, fun and color on my rim. Pepitas!! Pull out that food processor and grind away, you won’t be disappointed. Quick tip, after you strain your puree don’t toss it. Before serving taste your margarita to make sure you have the perfect pumpkin taste. If you need a little more bang whisk in a spoon of the leftover puree.
1 small whole pumpkin (4-6 pounds)
Preheat oven to 350
Cut pumpkin in half.
With a spoon scoop out all seeds and fibers. (Save these to make pepitas)
Place pumpkin on baking sheet and roast until fork tender,
Remove pumpkin flesh from skin.
Place in a food processor and process until smooth.
1 ½ tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepitas
In a food processor pulse until coarse.
If mix is moist, add salt.
- Lime wedges
- 1 cup tequila
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup Cointreau
- Ice cubes
- Pepita salt mix or salt
- In a sauce pan add pumpkin puree,water, brown sugar, allspice and cinnamon stick.
- Simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes, whisk to help sugar dissolve.
- Remove from heat, cool completely.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the pumpkin puree.
- (What you are looking for is the pumpkin liquid.)
- Do not toss the thick mix left in the strainer, you might need a tsp or so later.
- On a small plate spread pepita salt mix or salt.
- With lime moisten rim of glasses, dip into salt and place in freezer to chill.
- In a pitcher combine tequila, pumpkin liquid and Cointreau.
- Add lime juice tsp by tsp until you reach desired taste.
- If you feel your margarita mix needs an extra punch of pumpkin add a bit of the pumpkin puree left in the strainer.
- I added an extra two tablespoons to mine, adjust to your taste.
- Pour into chilled glasses, enjoy!