I first tried this salsa for the closing ceremony of the Olympics. My family joined us and we piled this salsa over a hefty plate of pinto bean nachos. Cucumbers are not my first go to ingredient when I make salsa, but I have to admit I really enjoyed the refreshing bite this salsa offered. I also set out a fiery, thinner salsa to drizzle over the nachos, so in between the heat and the surprise of seeing my teen crush George Michael shake his bon-bon on national TV I clearly need cooling off. Enjoy!
This salsa would be a great addition to grilled shrimp or even great with a huge bowl of brown rice salad. I would recommend you discard the cucumber seeds to avoid a watery salsa.
- 2 cups finely diced, peeled cucumber
- 1/2cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 jalapeño (with seeds), finely diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix first five ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Stir in lime juice and oil.
- Season to taste with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and more lime juice, if desired.
recipe from Bon Appetit Magazine, June 2012