A Tlayuda is a popular street snack in Oaxaca. This street snack consists of an over sized thin corn tortilla grilled over hot coals until crunchy. A thin layer of asiento (pork fat) and refried beans serve as the base. Toppings can include shredded cabbage, chorizo, thin slices of precooked meat or pork, onions, rajas, cheese, cilantro, avocado and salsa
The tlayuda may be eaten opened faced or folded in half. Often compared to a Mexican pizza they are an ideal party food. I thought they would be perfect for Cinco de Mayo. Imagine a complete table laced with bowls of endless toppings. Each guest can customize their own tlayuda with the flavors they enjoy. My girls loved the crispy crust and my hubby had a blast over loading his to the max.
Recipes for Toppings:
Typically tlayudas are baked over hot coals or in the oven. I thought I would take the opportunity to use new my panini press for quicker bake time. They came out great! And guess what? IMUSA USA is giving you the chance to WIN your own panini press! Sweet Life is proud to partner with IMUSA in this great giveaway, Good Luck!
- 2 Cups fresh masa or corn masa flour maseca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 Cups water
- In a large bowl combine masa, water and salt.
- Mix with hands until dough is smooth and all the flour has been incorporated.
- Divide dough into 4 palm size balls.
- Place each ball between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- With rolling pin roll the tlayuda to about the size of a dinner plate.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees or Panini maker.
- Bake the tlayuda until crispy on baking sheet or place your tlayuda on the Panini maker.
- Bake until crisp. About 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Assemble~ Spread a layer of beans for base and add your favorite toppings.
- Options included - shredded cabbage, pre-cooked pork or meat, pickled red onion, cheese, avocado or salsa.
Giveaway!! Enter to win a IMUSA Panini Maker
HOW TO ENTER~GIVEAWAY has ended, thank you, winner will be notified by email!~
Like Sweet Life on Facebook
Follow Sweet Life on Twitter
Like IMUSA on Facebook
Follow IMUSA on Twitter
Tweet this Giveaway (button on top)
Open only to US residents
Giveaway ends May 8, 2012 winner will be chosen via random.org and contacted via email
Sweet Life disclourse: This is a sponsored post with IMUSA USA. My thoughts, love and passion remain my own.