Chile con Queso
When I was pregnant with my second child all I craved was queso.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner all my baby bump demanded was a bubbly bowl of melted cheese speckled with chiles and a handful of salty tortilla chips. At the time we were living in Killeen, Texas where mi carino was stationed at Fort Hood and crave busting Mexican joints were scarce. You see it’s not that I needed a great place to pick up a Plato de enchiladas or unas quesadillas de asada, I could make those in my sleep. The problem was I still hadn’t nailed the perfect queso recipe and I was living 6 hours from a little Tex-Mex joint that served the best chile con queso.
Had I tried? Oh yes, numerous times with the end result being nothing to rave or crave about.
Determined to satisfy my cravings I tweaked, re- tweaked and tweaked again a recipe until I could tweak no more.
And I finally had queso,
A queso I could be proud of
A queso I could eat a ton of
Never has there been a happier pregnant woman.
Tip for serving~ Keep queso warm and silky smooth by serving in a Molcajete that has been pre heated in oven.
- 1/2 medium onion finely diced
- ½ poblano seeds removed finely diced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 to 2 cups of milk
- 6 cups of shredded cheese I used queso Chihuahua
- 1 – 15 oz diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup of cilantro chopped
- 1 – 12 oz pkg of Chorizo optional
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan oven over medium high heat cook chorizo until fully cooked. (if using)
- With a slotted spoon remove cooked chorizo and place on paper lined plate to drain.
- Wipe saucepan clean with a paper towel, return pan to medium high heat and add butter.
- Add onions and poblano and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour to vegetables and stir to combine. Cook an additional 45 seconds.
- Add the milk and continue to cook on medium, whisking until sauce is thick, about five minutes.
- Reduce heat and slowly begin adding cheese to sauce, stir to combine until the cheese melts and add repeat until all cheese is added.
- Stir in tomatoes and cooked chorizo.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro.
- If queso thickens add milk as needed until desired consistency.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.