Papaya Salad with Kiwi Lime Dressing
Growing up we ate a lot of papayas. Mami used them to make aguas, smoothies, salads and nieve (ice cream). They hold a special place in her heart since her father grew them in their backyard. We always look forward to papaya paletas or thick slices of papaya with a hefty dousing of chile powder in the Summer.
These are the flavors of my childhood, the flavors I am drawn to, inspired by and the flavors I happily share with my children.
One of my favorite Spring salads includes papaya of course, but this papaya salad also includes a refreshing kiwi- lime dressing that ties it all together. Slice your papaya paper thin to layer around the outside rim of the plate making a festive ring to add your spinach and remaining vegetables. Blend your kiwis in a food processor or blender, but do not strain. You’ll want to enjoy every last bit of kiwi flavor. I serve this salad alongside roasted chicken or shrimp.
Tip: Toast the pepitas in the oven for a few minutes to release some of their natural oils.
- 1 half of a medium papaya- peeled seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- ½ small yellow bell pepper diced
- ½ small red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup pepitas
- Kiwi Lime Dressing recipe follows
- 2 Kiwis peeled and diced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Arrange the papaya slices around the outside of 2 salad plates. In the center of each plate add half the spinach, red cabbage, sliced cucumbers, diced yellow and red bell peppers.
- Drizzle with kiwi-lime dressing and sprinkle pepitas over the top of each plate.
- For Dressing:
- Combine kiwis, olive oil, lime zest and lime juice in blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper