Have you heard this Texas joke?
“Texas has four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas.”
Well that joke is 100% true. , fall is in full swing in every other state, but get this… yesterday our temperature was highs in the 90’s.
I’m half-heartedly complaining – As a proud Tejana I love living in South Texas, knew I would raise my kiddos here yet some days I yearn to view the change of seasons.
And when I begin to feel a little down about missing the change of seasons I remind myself that living in Texas has a whole lotta of perks, like Watermelon season – umm heck ya!
Can you say Salsa!
Texas watermelon harvest season kicks off in April and ends in November each year so this gives me plenty of time to enjoy watermelon in all its glorious forms > salsa, salad, agua, paletas and of course Margaritas – spicy or sweet.
- 4 cups seedless watermelon diced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 cup cilantro finely minced
- 2 Serrano chiles finely minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a bowl toss watermelon, onion, cilantro, serranos and juice. Season with salt and pepper, refrigerate until ready to serve.