Rompope Tres Leches Cupcakes with Rompope Cream Cheese Frosting
It never feels quite like the holidays until I have my first sip of rompope. Rompope is the Mexican version of eggnog, spiked with rum. This creamy egg based drink is served throughout the holiday season and enjoyed during Las Posadas. If I’m lucky I will have a few cups of rompope leftover that I can bake with. I’ve used rompope to frost cookies, make into bread and today I decided to add rompope to make mini tres leches cupcakes with rompope cream cheese frosting.
These mini tres leches cupcakes are super easy since I use a box cake mix from Wilton. I topped them with a hefty dose of frosting adapted from a recipe I spotted over at La Cocina de Leslie’s. Make sure you check out her recipe for pumpkin tres leches, it looks divine. And what are the holidays without a bit of twinkle. Using Wilton’s edible accents these mini cupcakes are stunning.
- For Cake:
- 1 18 oz Wilton Decorator’s Choice Yellow Cake Mix by Duncan Hines®
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Butter softened
- 3 Eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup rompope
- For Rompope Frosting:
- 1 cup rompope very cold
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease bottom mini cupcake/muffin pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- Blend cake mix, water, butter and eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes (Batter will be thick and fluffy). Divide batter evenly between cupcake/muffin pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out free of crumbs. Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and rompope. Remove from oven, poke tiny hole with a toothpick and spoon milk mixture over cupcakes. Cool completely, frost and decorate with sprinkles.
- For Frosting: Prepare frosting by mixing together the rompope, powdered sugar and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer on high until light and billowy. Add in the softened cream cheese and continue to beat for 1 minute. Spread frosting over cupcakes. Sprinkle top of cake with a edible accents.
recipes adapted from Wilton and La Cocina de Leslie
Sweet Life Disclosure: This is a sponsored post with Wilton. Thank you for supporting the companies Sweet Life collaborates with which allows me to create fun and unique recipes.