Sopa de fideo with garbanzo is a comforting weeknight meal. Made with fideo (vermicelli pasta), chicken broth, carrots, onions and garbanzo beans this dish is ready in under 30 minutes.
Nothing beats a bowl of fideo. Brothy served with warm corn tortillas – it is pure comfort.
Fideo is a Mexican sopita, made with vermicelli pasta. Lightly sautéed until golden brown then cooked with broth and veggies. Sopa de Fideo was one of the first foods my mami cooked for me when I was able to eat solid foods.
I fell in love with it after my first spoon and have been enjoying it ever since. Fideo is comforting, filling and a great budget-friendly item to have in your pantry. I always have fideo on-hand. A quick lunch, a wonderful dinner option which can be made in under 30 minutes.
Some days I add a heaping spoon of beans to my fideo other days I stir in shredded cooked chicken and some days I add plenty of sliced avocado and queso fresco. You can practically add anything your little heart desires to fideo. Today I am adding garbanzo beans to my fideo. I have shared with you my mami’s love of garbanzo beans, she adores them, so I grew up eating them also and have become quite fond of them.
Garbanzos are another essential pantry item: From Roasted Tomatillo Garbanzo Salad –Easy Garbanzo Soup and Garbanzo Salad with Mango Cumin Dressing garbanzo beans are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. I find myself adding them to many of my dishes.
Sopa de fideo with garbanzo is a comforting weeknight meal.
Made with fideo (vermicelli pasta), chicken broth, carrots, onions and garbanzo
beans this dish is ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (5 ounce) package fideo vermicelli pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small carrot diced
- ½ small onion sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the fideo, and fry until browned, stirring. Add diced carrots, onion, salt, pepper and garlic salt and cook stirring an additional minute. Stir in chicken broth, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Until fideo is tender, stir in garbanzo beans and continue simmering until garbanzo are heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, Taste, season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm.