Strawberry Tortillas — Blueberry Tortillas

4th tortilla 029 1024x969 Strawberry Tortillas    Blueberry Tortillas sweet treats mexican chuls gang breakfasts

Chuls suggested we make something “Cool” for July 4th since there would be no fireworks, no festivities, not much of anything since Alex decided to swing by for a quick visit.  Thankfully we were spared the grunt and only had a full day of rain and slow Internet service so we are blessed and no one is complaining.  We are celebrating July 4th small this year, which is kinda cool- just us four hanging out and chomping on our “cool” colorful tortillas.  These tortillas are a twist on your ordinary tortilla recipe, simply replace the water with the juice of your choice.

We tried strawberry and blueberry juice to add the colors of our flag to our festive meal.  I made these in the morning and chuls had one slathered with dark chocolate almond butter and slices of green apple.  Pips went for a cheesy version which included sliced peaches.  Hubby loved both versions, but thought they would taste even better loaded with Texas brisket. I agree…Happy July 4th, have a wonderful weekend and may you spend time with the ones you love.  My family sends you love and well wishes.  Thank you for so many lovely comments for our well being in the wake of Alex, I am truly blessed to have great friends from every corner our our beautiful world.     Enjoy Sweetlife!

4th tortilla 018 1024x685 Strawberry Tortillas    Blueberry Tortillas sweet treats mexican chuls gang breakfasts

Strawberry Tortillas

by Sweetlife

Vianney Rodriguez

make 12

3 cups of all purpose flour

2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup shortening

3/4 cup warm strawberry juice

In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder.  With hands cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly (similar to the texture of pie crust).  Warm  juice on low heat or in the microwave.  Add the juice to the flour mixture and begin kneading, until all dough comes together.  If the mixture is too moist add 1 tbsp of flour and continue to knead adding more flour if necessary.

Cover dough with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

After dough has rested separate into 12 balls.  Lightly flour your surface and begin rolling out each ball into a round, 1/8 inch thick circle.  Heat skillet or cast iron comal and cook each tortillas 1 to 2 minutes on each side.

****************************************************

Blueberry Tortillas

by Sweetlife

Vianney Rodriguez

makes 12

3 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking podwer

3/4 cup shortening

3/4 warm blueberry juice

please follow above directions.

Comments

• Vianneybonnie says

@Kurious…Oh I am happy you enjoyed these, they are cool ..my girls could not get enough of them, please let me know if you try mango..the color would be fab!!

sweetlife

I love how you incorporate colour into your meals. Sometimes after cooking, I realize there’s a lot of beige going on.
    I’m thinking blueberry tortillas with grilled pork and a chutney of some sort. :)

Now I’ve never seen anything like this before- How creative! I love the whole idea, and while I had never considered making tortillas before due to the hassle, I think that these would be worth it.

Oh my! I’m gone for a little while, and I miss so many amazing posts from you. Great recipes and beautiful pictures as usual.

Never in my life have I seen anything so cool done with tortillas, those are absolute brilliance!
    Happy that you had a nice 4th of July, and that your family is safe =).

~Kurious Kitteh

I’ve never thought to do this. What a wonderful idea! My kids would love these too! Sorry about your 4th festivities but I bet these made up for it just a little. :)

Well…who says that Tortillas can’t be amusing…you certainly proved them wrong.
    Great creativity and an idea that can become quite versatile for other occasions too ;o)

Have a great celebratory day and flavourful wishes,

Deliziose queste tortillas, somigliano molto alle nostre piadine romagnole (italiane). Ti auguro una buona domenica! Kiss :-)

Genius! I want a blue one with peanut butter and honey! Hope you guys have a great Sunday, Bonnie & Chuls. I have a feeling it will be delicious (smile)…

You’re so creative! It’s real cool to see this July 4th inspired tortillas. Who can say no to them? Happy July 4th to you and your family!

These are definitely ‘cool’!

I’m a little embarrassed to say I’ve actually never made my own tortillas. A friend of mine teases me and says, “And you call yourself a Cook?!” I obviously need to get on the bandwagon!

You always have such unique ideas! So creative.

I think these are my favorite red white and blue recipe I’ve seen so far!

Happy 4th!

what a phenomenal idea! of course i’ve seen spinach- and tomato-flavored wraps, but never anything fruity! brilliant, and masterfully-executed as well!

You can’t begin to understand how excited I was when I saw this post. I grew up in Houston, and I have a love affair with tortillas…I’ve seen a lot of cool recipes utilizing them, but I’ve NEVER seen anything as creative as this. I am going to give this a try ASAP. Thank you for setting off culinary fireworks!