Sopa de Fideo

sopa de fideo 052 1024x680 Sopa de Fideo soups stews mexican dinners

My nieces arrived from Kansas to spend a week with us here in Edinburg.  I had big plans, art projects lined up, baking recipes prepped , park dates planned and then the unexpected.

The smallest fell ill.  I felt, well kinda dumb.  I being a mom should of known better,   “never plan ahead, expect the unexpected,” and here I was planning our week.

She lost her appetite, wanted to snuggle and missed her mom.  All plans came to a halt.  We settled in  with quilts, cartoons and tried our best to make her comfortable.  The following day she felt a little better, she played with blocks, ate a light breakfast and she did her best to shake it off.  As I  set off to prepare lunch I asked her if she wanted “sopita.”

sopa de fideo 053 1024x589 Sopa de Fideo soups stews mexican dinners

Sopita or sopa is what I believe to be a true Mexican comfort food.  Introduced to babies as one of their first soups, sopita is a chicken broth based soup with small pastas or fideo.  Small pastas come in many shapes such as little stars, alphabets, small shells, fideo, elbows or melon seeds.  The soup is infused with tomatoes, garlic, onion and cilantro.  Every household has their version, their own twist, their “sopa style.”  I prefer my mom’s version as she would say “caldudito” soupy, brothy.

My heart warmed as she became stronger with each passing day, then her older sister came down with a tummy ache.  Sopita round two began.

I turn to this sopa when my girls are feeling down, when the weather is chilly or if I crave the company of my mom.  Enjoy! Sweet Life!

I thank you all who left heart warming comments on my last post, I love you all dearly!

sopa 056 1024x685 Sopa de Fideo soups stews mexican dinners

Fideo ~ Vermicelli

sopa 020 1024x685 Sopa de Fideo soups stews mexican dinners

Letras ~ Alphabet

sopa 033 1024x685 Sopa de Fideo soups stews mexican dinners

Estrellitas ~ little stars

sopa 048 1024x685 Sopa de Fideo soups stews mexican dinners Conchitas ~  small shells

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/2 cup cilantro

4 tbsp canola oil

7 ounce bag of fideo

salt

pepper

Heat oven to 450

Place tomato or tomatoes, onion, and garlic on baking sheet and roast on high temp until skin is blistered, about 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and add to blender with cilantro, blend until smooth, set aside.

In a dutch oven or medium saucepan add oil on medium high heat.  Allow the oil to heat, you want the fideo to sizzle when added.

Add the fideo and stir until fideo is golden brown.  about 2 or 3 minutes.

Add your blended mix and stir to combine.

Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.

Cover and cook for 15 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper

~~~~~~~~~~

With Papas

2 potatoes, peeled and diced

add potatoes after you add chicken stock.

cover and cook for 15 minutes

I’m adding this soup to #SoupPalooza

Come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by KitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset” in your blog post.

Comments

Heck yeah, Sopa de Fideo ROCKS in our house. I was such a bad little girl and I use to tell my mom how much I hated Fideo ( but ate it all up anyways) and now I am all grown up and thats what I make for my children at least once a week! HA!

Aww, Nurse Bonnie =). Sounds like you’ve been having a busy week. Hopefully they’re all better now; I’m sure your sopa helped! It looks amazing, I want to curl up with a bowl right now.

xx

3. Christina Soliz says

Fideo is our favorite, on a lazy day I add pieces of chicken to it, easier when you have a rotisserie chicken on hand. But the best is when Fideo accompanies Albondigas, Mexican Meatball soup. Reminds me of my Great-Grandmother’s cooking and the trip to the back yard to get the yerba buena.

Ay! The memories of my Abuelita’s sopita came to mind as I read your post and looked at your photos. Just like your nieces a bowl of sopita always seemed to revive me, giving me comfort like no other medicine could ever do. Thank you for the receta and for the memories!

Btw, I am so glad you linked up your recipe on Sabroso Saturday! Hope you join again next week. Abrazos!

Dios mio, this brings back memories. My mom and granny used to make me sopa de fideos when I was little. I never made it. Now I thnk I might have to.

Mami’s sopita always does the trick – this recipe looks especially hearty with all the fresh herbs and loads of veggies! I hope your smallest feels better soon.

Awww…..it always happens to me- when I make great plans, something happens :( Sounds like you still had a great time, even if it didn’t go according to plan! This soup looks very comforting- and I love that it has pasta in it- it looks so good! We have an asian noodle/pasta thing which is in the exact shape as those little stars! haha….

Oh how this made me miss my own sweet niece. You are so precious to make such a comforting soup. Thank you for sharing this loveliness tonight. I hope that tomorrow is full of happy moments, joyful conversation and plates of satisfying food

Bonnie! This soup looks so amazing. I’m going to the store in a minute and I’m going to pick up potato and cilantro, so that I can make this. It looks so incredibly wholesome and good. I think Pips will be feeling much better very soon;-)
    Yum yum…

Oh no! Poor little girls. You definitely made them feel at home with this soup! My mom used to make us soup too when we were sick. Total comfort food.

Oh the lovely childhood memories you have stirred in me of my mami’s sopa de fideo. I love them with fideo, estrellitas and conchitas. There are magical powers in sopita, they always make me feel better. Thank you for this lovely and heart warming post, made my day:)

Don’t ever feel bad about being the enthusiastic and generous person you are.
    So, plans changed…but they haven’t left the building. You’ll do them at a time where they may be even more appreciated ;o)

Bonnie…I love the name ‘Sopita’…I’ll start calling my Italian version ‘Zuppita’…too cute!

Have a better week ahead…chin up…it could only happen to the living ;o)

Ciao for now,

I don’t know the name and it is completely new to me but I am liking this dish already….it has all the ingredients I love and I have these ingredients all the time!

lovely post and your the best Aunt ever, love this soup I remember smiling at all the little pastas in Italy for kids, thanks for liking my fish tacos that means a lot to me as your the pro

Me encanta!! I love sopa de fideos, coincidence that I am craving one today and I just called my hubby to bring me some carrots and potatoes. Your looks delicious. I hope your niece is already better :)