Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache

lavender brownies 048 680x1024 Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache uncategorized texas festivals sweet treats

Plans have been made, travel arrangements and delicious dining destinations have been chosen.  We are heading to Poteet, Texas. The first weekend of April we will enjoy our first Strawberry Festival as a family.  My little sister’s family, my parents and our bunch will be making the trip together.  In planning for the trip memories of our visit to Blanco, Texas for the The Lavender Festival  only fueled my excitement even more.  So in honor of our upcoming trip I bring you a recipe from their local cookbook, Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache.

lavender brownies 008 1024x680 Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache uncategorized texas festivals sweet treats

Lavender is the star of these fudgy brownies,  the floral flavor adds a fresh perk to the chocolate.  The directions state “allow ganache to set,” but try a small bit while the ganache is still warm and you will taste Texas lavender at it’s best.  Enjoy!  Sweet Life!

Have a wonderful week!!

~~~~~~~~~

Lavender Brownies

The Local Flavor of Lavender

serves 16-20

1 cup sugar

1 tsp dried culinary lavender buds

8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped

6 tbsp unsalted butter

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 cup walnuts or pecan pieces, chopped

Lavender Chocolate Ganache (recipe follows)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter sides and bottom of an 8×8 inch or 9×13 inch pan. Line with parchment paper, and spray the paper with cooking spray.

Pulse sugar and lavender together in a processor until lavender is finely chopped.  Using a sifter or strainer, sift lavender pieces out of sugar.  Set lavender sugar aside.

Melt chocolate and butter together in microwave using short 15 second bursts, stirring well until smooth and melted.  Add salt, vanilla, and lavender sugar; blend well.  Add eggs and stir to blend.  Add flour and pecans; stir well.  Scrape into prepared pan and smooth top.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until edges are slightly set and corner is still moist.  Coll in pan.

Frost brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache and allow to set at room temperature until brownies are slightly firm to touch.  Pull brownies from pan using edges of parchment paper.  Cut as desired.

lavender festival 020 751x1024 Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache uncategorized texas festivals sweet treats

Hubby holds our freshly picked lavender

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lavender Chocolate Ganache

1 cup heavy cream

1 tbsp dried culinary lavender buds

12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into chunks

~~~~~~~~~~~

Warm cream and dried lavender in a small saucepan until mixture just begins starts to simmer.  Cover pan and remove from heat.  Allow mixture to steep and infuse for approximately 15 minutes.  Strain lavender from cream and return cream to saucepan.  Bring cream to a simmer again. Remove from heat, add chocolate chunks, and stir until melted and smooth.

lavender brownies brownie 042 1024x680 Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache uncategorized texas festivals sweet treats

Want more lavender?

Lavender Cream Cheese Stuffed Strawberries

Blackberry Lavender Champagne Cocktail

ybr Button Lavender Brownies with Lavender Chocolate Ganache uncategorized texas festivals sweet treats

Comments

Bonnie when I received your photo I couldn’t stop looking at your perfect brownies. This sounds like a fantastic recipe and I hope to try it soon. I hope you have fun on your up coming trip. Thank you for being a part of March’s YBR.

I’m trying to be good and not eat sweets but these sound incredible and I have lavender that I should use too… when I’m off work in a couple of weeks I will definitely make these!!

Oh my goodness…I want to go to both! I need to make a road trip. These brownies look AMAZING. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. I’m hungry now! I hope you have a blessed and peaceful day tomorrow. Hugs from Austin!

Lavendar festivals, strawberry festivals – love it all! They both sound so much fun! And these brownies look incredibly fudgy beyond belief. I’m drooling.

I used to think lavender could not be found in Texas; how wrong I was, and this post is a reminder that people will accomplish miracles here when they set their minds to it. Would love to try this, lavender and ganache sounds heavenly.

That looks amazing! I have some lavender sugar I need to use up but I’ve found that its flavor disappears after baking. Maybe it will work in your ganache – can’t wait to try!

I know it sounds unoriginal but we really need “smellavision” to appreciate the scent of lavender , and with brownies being baked in the process…more “smellavision” please…:O

I can breathe in the scent of the lavender by looking at your lovely photos. I love bringing lavender into desserts. Culinary lavender is hit and miss here – so I envy you your trip to the lavender festival. How sumptuous those brownies are!

Oh Bonnie, those brownies look so incredibly good. I’m going to try them, since I have some of that lavender;-) Plus, I’m totally in the mood for something rich, chocolaty, and delicious.
    *Hope you guys have a nice time at the strawberry festival too!

I’ve seen lavender in sweets but I would have thought that the chocolate overpowered it in these…sounds like it doesn’t! So I’d love to try them, they certainly are gooey!

Ooooo YUM!!!! I just want to lick my monitor. Looks like an amazing recipe and the photos are gorgeous! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

I love lavender but never thought of it with chocolate – except as a garnish. It is winter here – I do have a few buds left – but am saving them for a syrup – however – when in Paris last summer, bought some incredible essences… so, I may just try this.
    I love the photos. YUM
    Valerie

13. Vianneybonnie says

@Sensiblecooking..your invited, we always have room for an extra friend!! thanks for the tweet!!
    sweetlife

14. Vianneybonnie says

@Foodessa..oh no worries, the floral flavor is not for everyone..the bouquet was my fav reminder of the event..

sweetlife

Gorgeous!!!

Have fun in Poteet! Isn’t that where Mr. George Straight grew up? I know he was born in San Antonio, but I think I remember hearing it grew up somewheres else…

Have a great week :)

Those brownies look incredibly scrumptious.
    Although, I do admit that I’ll take a bouquet of lavendar flowers before I’ll eat it, sorry not a real fan of it.
    The color in your picked flowers are gorgeous Bonnie.

Flavourful wishes,

So jealous of your family trip. I love love family trips especially road trip. Can I join you on the trip, I will be quite promise as long as I have good supply of those brownies. BTW just re-tweeted the recipe. Drooling.