Paletas de Sandía

watermelon paletas 008 1024x1019 Paletas de Sandía sweet treats mexican chuls gang

Our summers are made bearable with frequent trips to the beach laced with heavy doses of paletas, raspas and agua frescas.   My calendar officially states June 21 as the first day of summer.  Try explaining this to my kids, who crave roaming the beach in search of seashells.  On days that we cannot escape to the beach we cool off enjoying paletas.  Paletas are super easy to make.  They require little time, effort and clean up is  a breeze.

watermelon paletas 003 685x1024 Paletas de Sandía sweet treats mexican chuls gang

Paletas can be made from any fruit.  Currently in my freezer I have strawberry, blackberry, peach (ahh rico!), mango, watermelon and honeydew.  Individually wrap with wax paper and your set for the summer.  For those looking for a guilt free snack paletas  are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.   I add no sugar to my paletas, there simply is no need.   By making your paletas with seasonal fruit nature has provided you with the sweetness.  This recipe can be easily adapted to any fruit, but experiment, make it your own summer treat. Enjoy!

Paletas de Sandía
By Vianney Rodriguez

serves 10
4 cups seedless watermelon diced
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt

Place watermelon and salt in blender with just a splash of the 1/2 cup water to get it started.  You don not want to dilute the watermelon flavor.

Pour into a paleta mold, insert wooden sticks  and freeze for about 4 hours.  Run your mold under warm water to loosen the paleta. Enjoy

*If your watermelon has seeds, simply blend with out salt.  Strain to remove seeds bits. Return to blender add salt and blend.

*Try soaking your wooden stick in warm water 20 minutes before using.  This helps the stick to stay in place.

Love paletas? why not try

Mango Paletas

Comments

1. Sasha Densikoff says

These look lovely!
    I just have one question though….why the salt?
    I have made these sort of things before, but years ago…and I didn’t use anything except the pulped fruit and water (or milk, depending if it goes with the fruit)
    What does adding the salt do?

I love making fresh fruit popscicles! I cannot get mine out of the mold as beautifully as you do. It is a constant problem. I have the same mold – bought two sets! Love the way yours look – and, yes, I will try them again!
    Bravo, Bonnie, for once again motivating me.
    Valerie

now Bonnie, this brings back so many good memories, homemade fruit pops just makes me giggle….so nice to be reminded of it again, I think I’m gonna go out and buy some molds, make a batch or two, have a couple and then hand them out to neighborhood kids… I could use a good giggle

A very healthy and refreshing idea. I love the fact that it is no sugar, I have try some pineapple and melon, but not watermelon. Yours looks great!

Have a great weekend :)

Doing this in 5 minutes once I leave this comment! My son and I have a popsicle every afternoon and this is perfect. It just screams goodness and sweetness and refreshment. Seriously, doing it now and will post soon on it! I am not kidding- doing it now!:)

I’ve been hearing from some Texan friends that it is just hot, hot, hot right about now. Sounds rough. But I like to hear you’re medicating with frozen fruit – my favorite frozen treat (next to mint chocolate chip ice cream :).

• Vianneybonnie says

@Sara oh yes the temps are up, up today high of 116…wow! yes paleta medication is the best!!

sweetlife