Steel Cut Overnight Oats

overnight oats 246 904x1024 Steel Cut Overnight Oats guest posts breakfasts

This recipe is my first contribution  for New Latina.  As a contributor I will share quick, easy meals.

Overnight oats provide you a healthy start to the morning with the flexibility of enjoying a new flavor combination every morning.  Steel cut oats are soaked overnight in the milk of your choice; whole, almond or soy.

Toppings are limitless.  Try nuts, seeds, dried or fresh fruit or butters such as peanut, almond, cashew or hazelnut.  Drizzle with agave or honey.  Enjoy either cold or warm.

Steel cut oats or whole grain groats are rich in fiber, calcium, protein and B- vitamins.  Their flavor is chewy with a nutty texture.  Many recipes call for cooking steel oats overnight in a crock pot, but I find the results from the soaking technique much easier.

overnight oats 019 1024x899 Steel Cut Overnight Oats guest posts breakfasts

Steel cut Overnight Oats

1 cup steel cut oats

½ tsp vanilla

½ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

2 cups milk, organic milk, almond milk or soy milk

1.  Combine all in a bowl and mix.

2.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3.  To serve scoop amount desired into a bowl and add fruit or nuts.

*you can double the recipe, will keep well in fridge for 3 days.

After 3 days it will thicken as oats continue to absorb milk.

*Add the spices of your choice or omit the vanilla and cinnamon altogether and flavor your oats with the toppings.

overnight oats 258 1024x685 Steel Cut Overnight Oats guest posts breakfasts

I also wanted to share one of the coolest piece of art I own.  A canvas showcasing one of my favorite pictures from my Cinco de Mayo celebration 2010.   A rice pudding cheesecake from Fany Gerson. Here’s the original photo.      cinco de mayo 021 Steel Cut Overnight Oats guest posts breakfasts

And here is the canvas, don’t you love it?  I adore it.  At the moment this lovely sits on my kitchen island.  Thanks Megan from Easy Canvas Prints for the wonderful print!!    canvas 006 1024x685 Steel Cut Overnight Oats guest posts breakfasts

Picture 1 Steel Cut Overnight Oats guest posts breakfasts

Sweet Life disclosure: I received a print from Easy Canvas Prints.  The opinions expressed in Sweet Life are my own.

Comments

1. Barbarita says

I love the way your oats recipe looks; will make it for tomorrow. Do you have the recipe of your canvas cheesecake?

Hi,

This is a great Mexican recipe! You know, not very many people are familiar with the fact that Mexicans eat oatmeal for breakfast too – only better! I also blog about Mexican food recipes where I share authentic Mexican recipes and dishes from all over the world on my blog: http://www.mexfoodrecipes.com. I hope you’ll check it out. I love your blog, you should be very proud of it! Best, Maria

this sounds so good, so cool and refreshing and sort of good for you too, huh…. now If I too photos like you, I would have my food hanging all over the house, instead of the front of my shirt… such a slob sometimes/… hope you are having a great weekend, enjoy…

I’ve been wanting to add more oats to my diet and this sounds like a perfectly delicious way without all the fuss in the morning.

Beautiful print!

Oh yummy – what a great idea – I love oats for breakfast and not sure why I have never thought of adding vanilla essence before – can’t wait for tomorrow morning now. :-)
    Your print is exquisite – canvas prints so fabulous.
    Have a happy weekend.
    :-) Mandy

Adding fun mix-ins to oats is the perfect way to make them exciting and actually make you want to eat them!

Oh that cheesecake. If I had taht canvas in my house, I’d never stop looking at it. And drooling.